Contra Costa County, Late Feb./early March

  • Fred Werner
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 9, 2008
      Hello, I'm a high school science teacher, new to California, hoping to do a
      "mini-course" on birding, during the last week of Feb. - first week of
      March, and hoping to take the students out birding 4-6 times. I'm in
      Lafayette (Contra Costa County, East Bay), and am hoping some people on this
      list might be able to advise me on:

      A) How active should I expect birding to be here that time of year? A friend
      warns me that many winter residents (esp. wading and aquatic spp.) will have
      left already, and spring migrants won't have arrived yet.

      B) Any suggestions on good spots in / near Lafayette? I'm planning one full
      day at Point Reyes, and maybe one other day driving farther afield in the
      East Bay area.

      Thanks.

      - Fred

      ------------------------
      Fred Werner
      Science Dept.
      Bentley School
      Lafayette, CA 94549
      fwerner@...
      ------------------------
    • snorkler@juno.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 9, 2008
        Fred,

        Although it precedes your mini-course dates, you might consider taking interested students to the San Francisco Bay Flyway Festival (http://sfbayflywayfestival.com/) in Vallejo the weekend of February 1-3. There will be slide shows, optics vendors, live raptors, and volunteers with spotting scopes in the marsh to show birds to the public.

        I would suggest Bodega Bay instead of Pt. Reyes, since there are vehicle restrictions beyond Drake's Bay. You have to get (free) tickets to take a shuttle bus to the Lighthouse, Chimney Rock, and the Fish Docks between January 1 and March 31. At least that's how it's been for about the past 5 years out there, to protect the Northern Elephant Seal rookery there.

        I presume many of your students will not have binoculars, so getting close to the birds is important. In that respect, Lake Merritt may be a better place than Jewel Lake, since your students can get wonderful close-up looks at the waterfowl at Lake Merritt.

        Darrell Lee
        Please note: message attached

        Click for a credit repair consultation, raise your FICO score.
        http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2111/fc/Ioyw6iifRtVsLtUG0WyBuCrUQpsTwugXhHcPj2FDkTC7pQD90BL1YZ/