Re: [CVBirds] Gull ID Help

  • Steve Hampton
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 9, 2008
      Jim,

      #1 is the most interesting, and appears to be a Glaucous-winged hybrid, probably x Herring (which are not all that unusual in the Central Valley). The bill size and shape is better for Gl-W than Thayer's, as well as the heavy structure and short primary projection. Also, the streaking on the breast forms horizontal bars, which is very typical of Gl-W.

      #2 seems fine for Glaucous to me.

      #3 I'd stick with Herring until proven otherwise.

      Steve Hampton
      ________________
      Resource Economist
      Office of Spill Prevention and Response
      California Dept of Fish and Game
      PO Box 944209
      Sacramento, CA 94244-2090
      -----------------------------------
      (916) 323-4724 phone
      (916) 324-8829 fax

      >>> "Jim Gain" <phalarope@...> 1/9/2008 11:25 AM >>>
      I hope it is OK to post this link here. I was hoping to get some feedback on
      three gulls I observed at the Modesto Sewage Ponds during the CBC 2 weeks
      ago.

      http://www.stanislausbirds.org/Photos/recent-photos3.htm

      Thanks,

      Jim Gain