Gull ID Help

  • Jim Gain
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 9, 2008
      I hope it is OK to post this link here. I was hoping to get some feedback on
      three gulls I observed at the Modesto Sewage Ponds during the CBC 2 weeks
      ago.

      http://www.stanislausbirds.org/Photos/recent-photos3.htm

      Thanks,

      Jim Gain

      Modesto

    • Steve Hampton
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 9, 2008
        Jim,

        #1 is the most interesting, and appears to be a Glaucous-winged hybrid, probably x Herring (which are not all that unusual in the Central Valley). The bill size and shape is better for Gl-W than Thayer's, as well as the heavy structure and short primary projection. Also, the streaking on the breast forms horizontal bars, which is very typical of Gl-W.

        #2 seems fine for Glaucous to me.

        #3 I'd stick with Herring until proven otherwise.

        Steve Hampton
        ________________
        Resource Economist
        Office of Spill Prevention and Response
        California Dept of Fish and Game
        PO Box 944209
        Sacramento, CA 94244-2090
        -----------------------------------
        (916) 323-4724 phone
        (916) 324-8829 fax

        >>> "Jim Gain" <phalarope@...> 1/9/2008 11:25 AM >>>
        I hope it is OK to post this link here. I was hoping to get some feedback on
        three gulls I observed at the Modesto Sewage Ponds during the CBC 2 weeks
        ago.

        http://www.stanislausbirds.org/Photos/recent-photos3.htm

        Thanks,

        Jim Gain