Re: CBRC news - Wood Sandpiper accepted to California state list

  • borodayko
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 8, 2008
      Kimball,

      I'm curious about the list quantity of 636. The 10 Apr 2007 CBRC
      list in WFO stands at 634 with the addition of Taiga Flycatcher and
      Ross's Gull. Since then you have posted Lesser Frigatebird and
      Townsend's Shearwater (12 Nov 2007)which should make the count 636.
      With today's post of Wood Sandpiper that should bring the total to
      637. Did something drop off?

      Regards, Al Borodayko
      Cypress, CA

      --- In CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com, "Kimball Garrett" <kgarrett@...>
      wrote:

      > Birders,
      >

      > The California Bird Records Committee has completed its review of
      the
      > Wood Sandpiper (Tringa glareola) seen and photographed at China
      Lake,
      > Kern Co., 22-23 May 2007 and unanimously accepted the record; this
      > species is placed after Lesser Yellowlegs on the state list
      [adopting
      > the revision of the tringine sandpipers in the AOU Check-list
      Supplement
      > in Auk 123(3), 2006]. A photograph of the China Lake bird by Bob
      > Steele is on p. 536 of the just-published Spring Migration 2007
      issue of
      > North American Birds; this and additional photos are at:
      >
      > http://www.bobsteelephoto.com/Species/wosa.html
      >

      > This brings the state list to 636 species (10 of which are non-
      native).
      > Potential state list additions currently under review are
      Tristram's
      > Storm-Petrel, Swallow-tailed Kite, Eurasian Kestrel, Great Black-
      backed
      > Gull, Yellow Grosbeak and Common Rosefinch.
      >

      > Kimball Garrett
      >

      > Kimball L. Garrett
      >
      > Ornithology Collections Manager
      >
      > Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County
      >
      > 900 Exposition Blvd.
      >
      > Los Angeles CA 90007
      >
      > (213) 763-3368
      >
      > (213) 746-2999 FAX
      >
      > kgarrett@...

    • Kimball Garrett
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 8, 2008
        Al,

        Yes, one species did "drop off" the list: Little Shearwater was removed
        from the California list after re-review. Hence, the total is 636. But
        expect that to go up soon...

        Kimball

        Kimball L. Garrett
        Ornithology Collections Manager