CBRC news - Wood Sandpiper accepted to California state list

  • Kimball Garrett
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 8, 2008
      Birders,

      The California Bird Records Committee has completed its review of the
      Wood Sandpiper (Tringa glareola) seen and photographed at China Lake,
      Kern Co., 22-23 May 2007 and unanimously accepted the record; this
      species is placed after Lesser Yellowlegs on the state list [adopting
      the revision of the tringine sandpipers in the AOU Check-list Supplement
      in Auk 123(3), 2006]. A photograph of the China Lake bird by Bob
      Steele is on p. 536 of the just-published Spring Migration 2007 issue of
      North American Birds; this and additional photos are at:

      http://www.bobsteelephoto.com/Species/wosa.html

      This brings the state list to 636 species (10 of which are non-native).
      Potential state list additions currently under review are Tristram's
      Storm-Petrel, Swallow-tailed Kite, Eurasian Kestrel, Great Black-backed
      Gull, Yellow Grosbeak and Common Rosefinch.

      Kimball Garrett

      Kimball L. Garrett

      Ornithology Collections Manager

      900 Exposition Blvd.

      Los Angeles CA 90007

      (213) 763-3368

      (213) 746-2999 FAX

      kgarrett@...

    • borodayko
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 8, 2008
        Kimball,

        I'm curious about the list quantity of 636. The 10 Apr 2007 CBRC
        list in WFO stands at 634 with the addition of Taiga Flycatcher and
        Ross's Gull. Since then you have posted Lesser Frigatebird and
        Townsend's Shearwater (12 Nov 2007)which should make the count 636.
        With today's post of Wood Sandpiper that should bring the total to
        637. Did something drop off?

        Regards, Al Borodayko
        Cypress, CA

        --- In CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com, "Kimball Garrett" <kgarrett@...>
        wrote:

        > Birders,
        >

        > The California Bird Records Committee has completed its review of
        the
        > Wood Sandpiper (Tringa glareola) seen and photographed at China
        Lake,
        > Kern Co., 22-23 May 2007 and unanimously accepted the record; this
        > species is placed after Lesser Yellowlegs on the state list
        [adopting
        > the revision of the tringine sandpipers in the AOU Check-list
        Supplement
        > in Auk 123(3), 2006]. A photograph of the China Lake bird by Bob
        > Steele is on p. 536 of the just-published Spring Migration 2007
        issue of
        > North American Birds; this and additional photos are at:
        >
        > http://www.bobsteelephoto.com/Species/wosa.html
        >

        > This brings the state list to 636 species (10 of which are non-
        native).
        > Potential state list additions currently under review are
        Tristram's
        > Storm-Petrel, Swallow-tailed Kite, Eurasian Kestrel, Great Black-
        backed
        > Gull, Yellow Grosbeak and Common Rosefinch.
        >

        > Kimball Garrett
        >

        > Kimball L. Garrett
        >
        > Ornithology Collections Manager
        >
        > Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County
        >
        > 900 Exposition Blvd.
        >
        > Los Angeles CA 90007
        >
        > (213) 763-3368
        >
        > (213) 746-2999 FAX
        >
        > kgarrett@...

      • Kimball Garrett
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 8, 2008
          Al,

          Yes, one species did "drop off" the list: Little Shearwater was removed
          from the California list after re-review. Hence, the total is 636. But
          expect that to go up soon...

          Kimball

          Kimball L. Garrett
          Ornithology Collections Manager