FW: Leach's Storm-Petrel - STOCKTON, CA

  • Lethaby, Nick
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 8, 2008
      FYI

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Jeff Gilligan [mailto:jeffgill@...]
      Sent: Monday, January 07, 2008 9:08 PM
      To: Lethaby, Nick
      Cc: Jon King
      Subject: Leach's Storm-Petrel - STOCKTON, CA

      Today (January 7) I saw a Leach's Storm-Petrel flying around a flooded
      area
      adjacent to the I-99 Freeway in Stockton. It was first a bit below eye
      level and in front and to the right of me as I was driving about 58 mph.
      For a split second I had to eliminate swallows and swifts. It then
      became
      apparent it was a northern type Leach's Storm-Petrel. The double white
      oval
      on the upper tail covert area was seen - eliminating rarer species.
      When I
      last saw it in the rear view mirror it was flying across the freeway.

      I later saw considerable evidence of the recent storm in the area -
      toppled
      trees and twisted signs, etc.

      I don't know where to report the sighting.

      Also - unlike recent trips through the central areas of California,
      there
      seems to be a reasonable number of Yellow-billed Magpies.

      Jeff