ICGU (Humboldt Co.)

  • Ken Burton
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 6, 2008
      On January 3 I found a 2nd-winter gull at the mouth of Redwood Creek
      (Orick) that I reported initially as a probable Iceland x Thayer's gull.
      After doing some research, I have concluded that it was well within the
      range of variability of "Kumlien's" ICELAND GULL and have reported it to
      the CBRC as such. Unfortunately, viewing conditions precluded
      photography and the bird has not been reported since.

      This location has produced apparent Kumlien's gulls at least three
      winters in a row (as well as slaty-backed and great black-backed gulls
      last year) but there appears to be extremely high daily turnover in
      flock composition.

      Ken Burton
      Arcata