The Eagles have landed

  • Constance & Bill Sullivan
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2008
      Greetings all,

      Many thanks to all who sent along information about
      the Eagles of the Klamath NWR area. We returned late
      yesterday having spent New Year's day and 1-2-2008 in
      Klamath Falls. Cold and Sunny both days with snow on
      the ground and very little open water on the Lower
      Klamath and Tule Lake areas. Eagles YES approx. 100
      + over the course of two days. The majority in and
      around the bank of willow trees along the auto tour
      route (Lower Klamath NWR). Each tree easily had 10 +
      birds-many juveniles, and there were at least 10
      trees!!!
      Other highlights include; the record number of
      Northern Harriers for us-30+, Rough legged Hawks
      many, Red tailed, red shouldered, Kesterls. Waterfowl
      congregated around the open water areas, with a
      number of Bald Eagles keeping close watch. Including
      shovelers, Buffelheads, pintails, Ring necked....
      Also out and about (walking the ice) coyotes and
      raccoons. A family of 6 raccoons walking far from
      shore (Tule Lake) in search of food....

      A fabulous trip, although to short. Highly
      recommended for anyone interested in a close encounter
      with the raptor families of the Klamath Basin.
      We left yesterday encountering high winds (dust
      storm), higher winds and snow squalls (Rt 97 north of
      Weed), Intense monsoon like rain through Shasta...

      Happy New Year to all,

      Connie & Bill Sullivan
      Concord Ca

      PS I will posted a few images at another time.