Mountain Plover and curlew survey, 2-3 Feb 2008

  • Kimball Garrett
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 18, 2007
      [my apologies if you receive this more than once; please feel free to
      cross-post to relevant listserves as appropriate]

      Help Survey Mountain Plovers and Long-billed Curlews (and Eurasian
      Dotterels??) in the Imperial Valley!

      On the weekend of 2-3 February 2008 we will once again be surveying
      appropriate habitat in the Imperial Valley for Mountain Plovers and
      Long-billed Curlews. Previous surveys have confirmed that this is the
      single most important wintering locality for Mountain Plovers; recent
      alarming population declines add to the urgency of getting current
      information on the winter status of this species in the Region.
      Long-billed Curlews are also a species of conservation concern, and this
      survey will follow the first systematic surveys of curlews in the
      Imperial Valley that we conducted in January and September 2007. As for
      Eurasian Dotterels and other goodies - well, we make no promises, but a
      dotterel was found during Mountain Plover surveys in January 2001.

      We need volunteers to cover survey areas on Saturday and Sunday. A
      survey area will take about half a day to cover, so you can survey half
      a day and bird at your leisure the other half or spend a whole day doing
      two survey routes. If you're especially enthusiastic, you can get in
      four survey routes over the weekend! We realize this is "Super Bowl"
      weekend, but you can be home by late afternoon to watch the game after
      doing a Survey Sunday morning!

      This is entirely a volunteer effort. You will need to provide your own
      transportation to the Imperial Valley and during the survey, as well as
      your food and lodging. Interested persons should contact Kathy Molina:
      kmolina@... or by phone at (213)-763-3368. We need to know in
      advance how many parties will be counting and how many survey areas each
      party can cover over the course of the weekend. Once you have arranged
      to cover one or more sectors, you will receive the maps and datasheets
      by e-mail.

      Surveyors need not have any special qualifications or previous
      experience apart from the ability to identify the target species, to
      count reasonably accurately, and to fill out simple survey forms
      (including descriptions of fields/substrates where plovers and curlews
      are found). A spotting scope is essential.

      Kimball

      Kimball L. Garrett

      Ornithology Collections Manager

      900 Exposition Blvd.