Roseate Spoonbill at Hidden Valley, Riverside County

  • merlin_mira_loma
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 13, 2007
      Barbara Iyer and I saw a Roseate Spoonbill with the White-faced Ibis
      at Hidden Valley this afternoon. It was feeding in the ponds with the
      roosting White-faced Ibis. The ibis are spooky and fly up and around
      every so often which is how we first saw the spoonbill. We're pretty
      sure that it did not fly in with the ibis. This appears to be a first
      year bird ... mostly white upper parts, pinkish underwings, dark feet
      (visible in flight) and wingtips (vaguely dark). The bird is a bit
      larger than the ibis, but has the general shape (long legs and long
      decurved bill) except for the "spoon" at the end of the bill. When we
      could see it feeding, it was slowly sweeping its bill side to side in
      the water. We did not get a photo ... it was dusk and neither of us
      had a camera.

      The spoonbill and the ibis were in (what's left of) the ponds at the
      east end of Hidden Valley wildlife area. Birders are not allowed to
      go down to the ponds. Viewing of the ponds is restricted to the bluff
      south of the ponds. Park in parking lot 2 (east of the Nature
      Center). Hidden Valley Wildlife area is on Arlington, which is
      accessed from Van Buren (go west) or from 6th Street to California
      (north) in Norco.

      Madeline Bauer
      Mira Loma
      Riverside County