Roseate Spoonbill in Orange County

  • wagtail1997
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 7, 2007
      Just a recap of the Spoonbill. Called in to the RBA on Wed. by Elaine
      Salico (spelling?). Seen throughout the day on Thursday in the
      Santa Ana River channel about 3/4 of a block south of the Tustin Ave
      bridge in north Orange. On Friday morning after the storm, the bird
      was not at the Tustin location, but a redirected email from "Larry
      Schmal" indicated the Spoonbill was about 2 miles downstream around
      the Lincoln Ave bridge crossing. A few minutes ago I received an
      unsigned email to the RBA Orange County RBA group that

      "Lois Jones and Betty Purdy saw it fly back to the Tustin Avenue area
      about 3:30 this afternoon and watched it for about a half hour until
      it flew up river heading toward the Kaiser Hospital at Lakeview."

      So the bird is staying in the area, but might be a little difficult to
      locate initially. If I receive information tomorrow and am near the
      RBA equipment, I'll post the location on the Internet and on the RBA.
      RBA phone is 949 487-6869

      Joel Weintraub
      Dana Point, CA