An invite to the Fall River Mills Christmas Count, Saturday, December 15

  • Bob & Carol Yutzy
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 7, 2007
      Hello All,

      The Fall River Mills Christmas Bird Count is Saturday, December 15.

      The Fall River count is not unlike Honey Lake or Tule Klamath in nature,
      but not quite as far away! We have Northern Shrikes more common than
      Loggerheads, Rough-legged and Ferruginous Hawks in good numbers, several
      or more Bald Eagles, Harris's and Am. Tree Sparrows possible annually,
      Lapland Longspurs in many years, usually 5+ Prairie Falcons, several
      shorebird varieties in rice fields, 2 Red-naped Sapsuckers last year,
      usually Yellow-headed Blackbird, and many one time only species like
      Red-necked Grebe, Tufted Duck, Long-tailed Duck, Bohemian Waxwing, Sage
      Thrasher, Gray-crowned Rosyfinch, Chestnut-collared Longspur (2 times)
      and Swamp Sparrow (2 times!)

      So please let us know if you can come join us. We would love to see you
      at this pretty unique basin count that ranges from 110 to 130 species.
      We usually have 15-20 participants so there is lots of room for more.

      We meet at the Fall River Hotel (turn right at the Y junction at the
      beginning of town just past the bridge) Saturday morning at 7:00 am for
      section assignments (and a group breakfast for those who reserve a
      breakfast slot!)

      Compilation is around 5+ pm at the Jade Garden restaurant on Hilltop
      Drive just off I-5 and Cypress Avenue.

      Keep Lookin' Up!

      Bob & Carol Yutzy