SNOW BUNTING STILL PRESENT AT 4 PM

  • bigbirderscott
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2007
      This little bunting is so perfectly camoflaged against the gravel of
      the roadside air-strip that when Tim Ruckle and I pulled over to the
      shoulder of the road to glass some distant birds we were surprised
      to see this petite white, rust and black beauty skitter away from us
      not 10 feet distant. The bird stopped and we froze, slowly bringing
      binoculars and camera to bear, and getting some great close-ups
      (will post soon to RARITIES folder). After about 30 seconds a flock
      of pipits made a low pass and the bunting alighted to join them,
      heading south towards the canal. It appeared that they all landed in
      the disced field on the opposite side of the road, within 100 yards
      of the canal, but we were unable to locate the bird again among the
      large dirt clods. Hopefully he'll show again in the morning.

      Directions are as previously described. The prime area seems to be
      along the gravel landing strip, from the canal to where the stip
      tapers down to a gravel shoulder.

      Bird well,

      Scott Huber
      Chico