Re: [CALBIRDS] Snow Bunting - Glenn Co.

  • Bruce Deuel
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 3, 2007
      John Sterling and I saw the Snow Bunting this morning in the exact spot
      described by Kathy below, between 1015 and 1100. It appears to be an
      immature female, at least that is the plumage in Sibley it most closely
      fits.

      I might point out that the "extremely wide gravel shoulder" is actually a
      landing strip used by crop dusters. Shouldn't be a concern at this time of
      year, but I would park as far to one edge as possible, just in case.

      Cheers,
      Bruce Deuel
      Red Bluff
      (P.S. personal to Helen G., NOW it's fun!)
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 3, 2007
        Regarding the age and sex of the Glenn Snow Bunting, the picture of the 1st
        winter male in NGS 5th edition looks like the picture of the imm. female in
        Sibley western, which looked like the bird. So I'm not claiming which it
        is. Fortunately it's been photographed well, so somebody'll figure it out!

        Cheers,
        Bruce Deuel
        Red Bluff