Snow Bunting - Glenn Co.

  • Kathryn Parker
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 3, 2007
      A SNOW BUNTING was found Saturday and seen again on Sunday in Glenn Co.
      It is on Rd. R north of Rd. 39, aka Bayliss, east out of Willows.
      Take the Bayliss-Rd 39 exit off of I5. Go east about 4 miles. Bayliss
      makes a slight jog to the north at one point. Take Rd R north. At a
      little before 1/2 mile there is an extremely wide gravel shoulder on
      the east side of Rd. R. The bird was seen on this shoulder from the .5
      mile mark to the .8 mile mark.

      Kathy Parker
      Los Gatos
    • Bruce Deuel
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 3, 2007
        John Sterling and I saw the Snow Bunting this morning in the exact spot
        described by Kathy below, between 1015 and 1100. It appears to be an
        immature female, at least that is the plumage in Sibley it most closely
        fits.

        I might point out that the "extremely wide gravel shoulder" is actually a
        landing strip used by crop dusters. Shouldn't be a concern at this time of
        year, but I would park as far to one edge as possible, just in case.

        Cheers,
        Bruce Deuel
        Red Bluff
        (P.S. personal to Helen G., NOW it's fun!)
        >A SNOW BUNTING was found Saturday and seen again on Sunday in Glenn Co.
        > It is on Rd. R north of Rd. 39, aka Bayliss, east out of Willows.
        > Take the Bayliss-Rd 39 exit off of I5. Go east about 4 miles. Bayliss
        > makes a slight jog to the north at one point. Take Rd R north. At a
        > little before 1/2 mile there is an extremely wide gravel shoulder on
        > the east side of Rd. R. The bird was seen on this shoulder from the .5
        > mile mark to the .8 mile mark.
        >
        > Kathy Parker
        > Los Gatos

        > these addresses:
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links
        >

        > --
        > 12/2/2007 8:34 PM

      • Bruce Deuel
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 3, 2007
          Regarding the age and sex of the Glenn Snow Bunting, the picture of the 1st
          winter male in NGS 5th edition looks like the picture of the imm. female in
          Sibley western, which looked like the bird. So I'm not claiming which it
          is. Fortunately it's been photographed well, so somebody'll figure it out!

          Cheers,
          Bruce Deuel
          Red Bluff