Problem with Bird Songs of CA CD

  • erpfromca@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 15, 2007
      For those who have the Birds Songs of CA CD set (Geoffrey Keller/Cornell
      Labs) and may want to use that to familiarize yourself with Juniper Titmouse
      vocalizations, be aware that the recordings labeled as Juniper Titmouse are, in
      fact, Oak Titmouse. I first noticed this some months ago. Checked with John
      Sterling and he agreed that the recordings are Oak Titmouse. I notified the
      Cornell folks and they concur and will fix this in a future edition. These
      recordings were made at Lava Beds NM where, though Juniper Titmouse MAY
      occasionally occur, I have found only Oak Titmouse on my visits. See Carla Cicero's
      monograph* if you want to see a detailed analysis of the distributions of the
      'Plain' titmouse complex.

      The Stokes Field Guide to Birds Songs: Western Region is a good source for
      real Juniper Titmouse vocalizations (recorded in Utah). Also, if any
      recordists out there have their own recordings of a 'real' Juniper Titmouse in CA that
      they might be willing to put online for folks to use, that would be great.

      This in no way diminishes my opinion of the Birds of CA CD. Still the best
      by far for learning CA bird vocalizations.

      * C. Cicero 1996. Sibling species of titmice in the Parus inornatus complex
      (Aves: Paridae). Univ. Calif. Publ. Zool. 128: 1–217.

      Ed Pandolfino

    • Alvaro Jaramillo
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 15, 2007
        Ed

        There are a bunch of recordings of Juniper Titmouse from Colorado on
        xeno-canto

        HYPERLINK
        "http://www.xeno-canto.org/browse.php?query=titmouse"http://www.xeno-canto.o
        rg/browse.php?query=titmouse

[...]