Re: [CALBIRDS] [Fwd: [SFbayareabirding] Special Request to Birding Community from OWCN -UC Davis]

  • Ken Burton
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 9, 2007
      Even ONE clapper rail, oiled or otherwise, in Anderson Marsh would be noteworthy in and of itself!

      Ken Burton
      McKinleyville

      Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2007 15:31:53 -0000
      From: torusert <sonomabirding@...>
      To: SFbayareabirding@yahoogroups.com

      Alison Kent
      Davis, California
      Oiled Wildlife Care Network
      Wildlife Health Center
      Thanks, Tom.
      In addition, I'd like to issue a special plea for birders please to
      try and get to "places less travelled" where you know there to be
      birds. We got over 40 calls yesterday reporting one oiled surf scoter
      at Crissy Fields; one call reporting 40 oiled clapper rails in
      Anderson Marsh would really help sort out rescue triage.

      The sooner, the better. The faster we can get these birds stabilized
      and washed, the higher their chances of recovery and survival.

      Calls from the general public wanting to volunteer outnumbered bird
      reports yesterday by about 5-1. Volunteer opportunities for untrained
      members of the public are going to be very limited over the next few
      days but here's a critical one: please make a special effort to look
      for oiled birds in places where the general public doesn't go. Don't
      approach or touch the birds but call 877-823-6926 and provide the
      location (be very specific, GPS coordinates are great), the species,
      number of birds seen, whether dead or alive, and percentage of oiling.
      Please leave your name and a contact phone number. We are inundated
      and most of my veterinary and administrative coworkers have left
      Davis; of the ones of us still here who are answering this number, I'm
      the only one who's likely to know what a clapper rail is, so please be
      patient if you get through to a live person.

      Under no circumstances should people touch or approach an oiled animal
      unless they have HAZWOPER training and are properly equipped. If you
      see someone doing this, please remind them that this is toxic material.

      Many thanks.
      Alison Kent
      Davis, California
      Oiled Wildlife Care Network