Horned Grebe versus Eared Grebe on Kern River 10/30/07 and 11/3/07-photos taken

  • kbgoldennugget2@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 4, 2007
      Late in the day on 10/30/07 we saw two grebes on the Kern River upstream
      from the Ranger's Station at Hart Park in Bakersfield. One of the grebes was an
      Eared Grebe, but we believed the second grebe was a Horned Grebe. Ken took a
      few DSLR 300mm photos of the Horned Grebe. The next morning we returned in
      order for Ken to take digiscope photos of the Horned Grebe, but the only grebe
      still present was the Eared Grebe.

      Yesterday, 11/3/07 around 3:00 PM, we were birding behind the Ranger's
      Station at Hart Park when we spotted a grebe in the Kern River. Again, we
      believed the grebe was a Horned Grebe, until it dove and came up with a catfish.
      That is when it showed a "peaked" head. We do not know if a Horned Grebe can
      show a "peaked" head just because it is wrestling with a catfish. Ken was
      able to take photos of this grebe with the catfish in the grebe's bill. The
      grebe was a mere 15 yards away from where we were standing.

      We have placed several photos Ken took of the grebes on 10/30/07 and
      11/3/07 into the Calbirds photo section in the "Birds" Album.

      Ken and Brenda Kyle
      Bakersfield