King Eider in Orange County?

  • wagtail1997
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 3, 2007
      I received an email around 7 pm tonight about a possible sighting of a
      King Eider in Dana Point this morning and cleared it for posting on
      the OrangeCountyBirding site and also forwarded it to the OrCoRBA
      Yahoo group...

      I don't see the poster putting this yet on Calbirds.... but basically
      Dan Williams of Riverside, CA, this morning around 10:30 in Dana
      Point, the north end of the harbor (probably from the Ocean Studies
      Institute/Jetty), had a 5 minute scope views of the bird before it
      flew north up the coast toward the Salt Creek Beach area (in nw Dana
      Point/south Laguna Beach).

      Dan indicated: "
      It looked like an adult nearing breeding plumage (bright orange
      bill, bold black-and-white body with a white rear flank patch), and
      when it took off I noticed its black wings had big white patches near
      the center (not the trailing edge like most diving ducks I'm more used
      to)."

      No pictures were taken.

      I gather from the non-response to my call that the LA Birdbox may be
      down... so with this post I want to get this info. out to the widest
      audience.

      Joel Weintraub
      Dana Point, CA