RE: [CALBIRDS] Which swift in LaCanada?

  • Kimball Garrett
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 3, 2007
      Kay,

      In early November you really only have two choices -- the two species you mentioned. And since the fall passage of Vaux's has essentially passed, any Vaux's flocks now are likely to be wintering (such winter flocks are most often encountered around riverbottoms in the San Gabriel Valley but also locally in the L. A. basin, coast, and other valleys).

      I'm not sure how you eliminated White-throated (by far the most likely species) -- in the distance in many lighting conditions you can watch White-throateds for a long time and not see any white on them. In those situations they are best identified by their shape -- long wings appearing to be inserted far foreward on the body, and a fairly long tail usually carried in a point or double point (but can be fanned to the point of looking square). White-throated Swifts are especially numerous in the La Canada area -- the 2/210 interchange is great for them, and that's only about a mile from Descanso Gardens. I don't believe there are any records of the other two swift species in the Los Angeles region in November.

      I don't know if the above is of any help, but in any case, thanks for posting something actually about birds and birding instead of about listserve regulations! As to the other discussion raging on Calbirds, I have just two words: "delete key."

      Kimball

      Kimball L. Garrett
      Section of Ornithology
      900 Exposition Blvd.