Re: [CALBIRDS] Others Hearing Western Screech-Owl?

  • Elwood Hain
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2007
      I heard a dueting pair of Western Screech Owls in my suburban yard two nights ago. It was a one night event. I thought they were a bit early. I am in Altadena, a northern suburb of Pasadena, a northern suburb of Los Angeles.

      Elwood Hain
      Altadena, CA

      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2007
        In a message dated 10/31/2007 3:22:23 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
        edelstein@... writes:

        If so, it's interesting timing, given the following paragraph in the account
        for this species in North American Birds Online (that indicates December as
        the starting point for vocalizations in most parts of CA):

        In my experience in the Santa Cruz Mountains region they call extensively in
        the late summer and fall (with an increase in vocal activity by late June and
        perhaps even a peak of sorts in Aug - Sept), and they are very responsive to
        recorded playback, as well. I'm not sure the quote you included specifically
        refers to situation in fall.

        David Suddjian
        Capitola