Others Hearing Western Screech-Owl?

  • DANIEL EDELSTEIN
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 31, 2007
      For the past four weeks, I've been hearing WESTERN SCREECH-OWL in the forest behind our house (in Marin County).

      Are others currently hearing this species?

      If so, it's interesting timing, given the following paragraph in the account for this species in North American Birds Online (that indicates December as the starting point for vocalizations in most parts of CA):

      Phenology:

      Most calling early in breeding season is done by males giving the Bouncing Ball call (Feusier 1989). In most areas, this is in winter and early spring (Dec–Feb; Noble 1990, RJC). During courtship, 43 of 55 male solo calling bouts were of Bouncing Ball calls, as were 23 of 42 duets between pairs (Feusier 1989). In California, responsiveness to tape playback is high during this period, but drops off quickly in Mar (Noble 1990).

      Daniel Edelstein

      Ellison Bay, WI

      &

      Novato, CA (Bay Area)

      http://www.warblerwatch.com

      12 Kingfisher Court
      Novato, CA 94949-6628
      415-382-1827 (voice & DSL fax)
    • Elwood Hain
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2007
        I heard a dueting pair of Western Screech Owls in my suburban yard two nights ago. It was a one night event. I thought they were a bit early. I am in Altadena, a northern suburb of Pasadena, a northern suburb of Los Angeles.

        Elwood Hain
        Altadena, CA

      • dsuddjian@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 1, 2007
          In a message dated 10/31/2007 3:22:23 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
          edelstein@... writes:

          If so, it's interesting timing, given the following paragraph in the account
          for this species in North American Birds Online (that indicates December as
          the starting point for vocalizations in most parts of CA):

          In my experience in the Santa Cruz Mountains region they call extensively in
          the late summer and fall (with an increase in vocal activity by late June and
          perhaps even a peak of sorts in Aug - Sept), and they are very responsive to
          recorded playback, as well. I'm not sure the quote you included specifically
          refers to situation in fall.

          David Suddjian
          Capitola