Brown Booby - Cordell Bank pelagic 10/23

  • Moez Ali
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2007
      Hi Birders,

      Apologies for the very late posting. I have been out of town and
      unable to get online since last week and just subscribed to the list.
      Although outdated, it may be of interest to some.

      Last tuesday 10/23 while in the area during a short visit from Tucson,
      I excitedly jumped at the last minute birding opportunity to join a
      squid fishing charter heading to Cordell Bank from Bodega Bay and was
      greatly rewarded with a good mix of pelagic species while cruising
      around for the elusive squid.

      The main highlight was a juvenile BROWN BOOBY twice showing off its
      spectacular low-angle plunge-diving antics.

      A short list of notable birds seen is as follows:

      Buller's Shearwater - 14
      Pink-footed Shearwater - 11
      Black-vented Shearwater - 3
      Flesh-footed Shearwater - 2
      Short-tailed Shearwater - 6
      Sooty Shearwater - 16
      Black-footed Albatross - 10
      Northern Fulmar - 55
      South Polar Skua - 2
      Parasitic Jaeger - 2
      Rhinoceros Auklet - 12
      Cassin's Auklet - 21
      Red Phalarope - 7
      Glaucous-winged Gull - 3
      Red-throated Loon - 13
      Barrow's Goldeneye - 33

      In and around Bodega Harbor and breakwaters were:

      American White Pelican - 35
      White-winged Scoter - 7
      Common Loon - 10
      Pacific Loon - 4
      Red-throated Loon - 17
      Brandt's Cormorant - 25
      Pelagic Cormorant - 18
      Common Murre - 41
      Pigeon Guillemot - 8

      A small group of Tricolored Blackbirds near the Tides Restaurant
      capped off a great day's birding and desire for a return visit.

      Good Birding!

      Moez Ali
      Tucson Az/Kenya
      www.tropicalbirding.com