Hepatic Tanager, SE Owl, Tijuana Slough (San Diego Co)

  • MiriamEagl@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 30 4:02 PM
      Hi, all!

      Oz and I had a great morning out today: our original plan was to look for
      the Lapland Longspur at Tijuana Slough, but as we were yapping we missed the
      exit and wound up at Dairy Mart Ex-Ponds looking for the caracara while we were
      down there (which we never found--had a couple of pretty White-tailed Kites
      and a very cooperative Kestrel, though...). We crawled around Monument and
      Hollister Roads a bit and finally made our way back to the community park off
      of 4th to use the restroom, and when I came out, Oz was looking up into a tree
      near the picnic area/playground looking for the night herons, but instead I
      heard a sharp "Chup!", and then the tanager flew right to the tree next to
      me! Got gorgeous views (and so-so pictures...)!

      Next we headed over to Seacoast where we first took a look at what was at
      the Observation Deck, and lo and behold a Short-eared Owl was flopping around
      over the marsh along with a couple of Harriers! He landed a couple of times
      and then batted around some more, at one point "chasing" a raven and almost
      coming straight overhead!

      We started the trek down the beach, enjoying Sanderlings, loons, Western
      Grebes, scoters, and the like; Oz spotted the adult Reddish Egret near the
      mouth, and when we came upon a couple of ladies from Long Beach, they hadn't seen
      the longspur, but it evidently had been foraging in the closed area all
      along. So we said, "Forget it," and headed back up (apparently the rangers are
      actually ticketing people for going back there...). Can't complain about the
      egret, anyway!

      Headed over to McCoy Trail to kill time before lunch, and the most
      surprising thing was a flock of juncos at the canal!

      Bird List:

      Red-throated Loon Gavia stellata
      Common Loon Gavia immer
      Eared Grebe Podiceps nigricollis
      Western Grebe Aechmophorus occidentalis
      Brown Pelican Pelecanus occidentalis
      Double-crested Cormorant Phalacrocorax auritus
      Great Blue Heron Ardea herodias
      Great Egret Ardea alba
      Reddish Egret Egretta rufescens
      Snowy Egret Egretta thula
      Mallard Anas platyrhynchos
      Surf Scoter Melanitta perspicillata
      Osprey Pandion haliaetus
      White-tailed Kite Elanus leucurus
      Northern Harrier Circus cyaneus
      Cooper's Hawk Accipiter cooperii
      Red-shouldered Hawk Buteo lineatus
      Red-tailed Hawk Buteo jamaicensis
      American Kestrel Falco sparverius
      American Avocet Recurvirostra americana
      Black-bellied Plover Pluvialis squatarola
      Semipalmated Plover Charadrius semipalmatus
      Killdeer Charadrius vociferus
      Marbled Godwit Limosa fedoa
      Whimbrel Numenius phaeopus
      Long-billed Curlew Numenius americanus
      Willet Catoptrophorus semipalmatus
      Sanderling Calidris alba
      Western Sandpiper Calidris mauri
      Heermann's Gull Larus heermanni
      California Gull Larus californicus
      Western Gull Larus occidentalis
      Royal Tern Sterna maxima
      Rock Pigeon Columba livia
      Eurasian Collared-Dove Streptopelia decaocto
      Mourning Dove Zenaida macroura
      Short-eared Owl Asio flammeus
      Anna's Hummingbird Calypte anna
      Costa's Hummingbird Calypte costae
      Black Phoebe Sayornis nigricans
      Say's Phoebe Sayornis saya
      Cassin's Kingbird Tyrannus vociferans
      Northern Rough-winged Swallow Stelgidopteryx serripennis
      American Pipit Anthus rubescens
      House Wren Troglodytes aedon
      Marsh Wren Cistothorus palustris
      Northern Mockingbird Mimus polyglottos
      Hermit Thrush Catharus guttatus
      Blue-gray Gnatcatcher Polioptila caerulea
      Bushtit Psaltriparus minimus
      American Crow Corvus brachyrhynchos
      Common Raven Corvus corax
      European Starling Sturnus vulgaris
      House Sparrow Passer domesticus
      House Finch Carpodacus mexicanus
      Lawrence's Goldfinch Carduelis lawrencei
      Orange-crowned Warbler Vermivora celata
      Common Yellowthroat Geothlypis trichas
      Hepatic Tanager Piranga flava
      California Towhee Pipilo crissalis
      Savannah Sparrow Passerculus sandwichensis
      "Belding's" Sparrow
      Song Sparrow Melospiza melodia
      White-crowned Sparrow Zonotrichia leucophrys
      Dark-eyed Junco Junco hyemalis
      Western Meadowlark Sturnella neglecta
      Brewer's Blackbird Euphagus cyanocephalus

      68 SPECIES

      Mary Beth Stowe
      San Diego, CA
      _www.miriameaglemon.com_ (http://www.miriameaglemon.com/)