OCTOBER 19 & 20, 2007 TRIP REPORTS

  • Debra Shearwater
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 21, 2007
      Hello, Seabirders,

      Shearwater Journeys last two pelagic trips of the fall were held this
      past Friday from Bodega Bay and Saturday from Monterey Bay, wrapping
      up an excellent season. Winter was rounding the corner as over 1000+
      NORTHERN FULMARS showed up on the Bodega Bay trip. Flocks of 300-400
      fulmars were sitting on the water! Despite some rain, the seas were
      calm and seabirding was generally quite good. In addition to the
      fulmars, highlights included a single FORK-TAILED STORM-PETREL which
      flew past the bow; 5 ASHY STORM-PETRELS; 75 BLACK-FOOTED ALBATROSSES;
      1 FLESH-FOOTED SHEARWATER; a wonderful SOUTH POLAR SKUA show, with
      birds circling the boat high overhead, revealing a silver band on the
      left leg; 19 POMARINE JAEGERS; 2 late SABINE'S GULLS (1 adult, 1
      juv.); and 4 fly-away ANCIENT MURRELETS. Saturday's trip from
      Monterey just barely dodged the high winds and seas following the
      latest rain. We ducked behind the Santa Cruz mountains after ticking
      5 SPECIES OF SHEARWATERS: PINK-FOOTED, FLESH-FOOTED, BULLER'S, SOOTY,
      and SHORT-TAILED, as well as a few BLACK-FOOTED ALBATROSSES. We
      enjoyed watching the surfers at the Santa Cruz lighthouse riding the
      big waves. But, our real purpose in visiting the boardwalk was to
      search for murrelets, which we did find. Five MARBLED MURRELETS were
      life birds for many of the folks visiting from outside of the area.
      Three HARLEQUIN DUCKS were in the Monterey harbor, and two PEREGRINE
      FALCONS were along Cannery Row. A flock of arriving CACKLING GEESE
      were spotted as well. Eight species of gulls feeding in large flocks
      more reminiscent of winter trips caught our attention. One "vega"
      type gull was photographed, following our boat. Finally, BREACHING
      HUMPBACK WHALES were a treat on both trips! In fact, every one of our
      fall (August through October) recorded Humpback Whales! Blue Whales
      were recorded on only one Monterey trip, but on several Bodega Bay
      trips. The vast majority of the Cassin's Auklets were found on Bodega
      Bay trips, as well, being virtually absent from Monterey Bay. These
      tiny auklets are krill feeders, like the Blue Whales, which explains
      why we saw these two animals together so often off Bodega Bay.

      Shearwater Journeys thanks all of the participants who came out for
      these two trips, and all of those wonderful folks who traveled with
      us this past fall season. Leaders for the October 19th trip were:
      Jennifer Green, Lisa Hug, Oscar Johnson, David Vander Pluym, Debra
      Shearwater, and Jukka from Finland. Leaders for the October 20th trip
      were: Linda Terrill, Scott Terrill, David Vander Pluym, Oscar
      Johnson, Jennifer Green, and Debra Shearwater. Many thanks to our
      chummer, Lizbeth Tinajero!

      Winter/spring trips planned for 2008 include the following dates:
      January 13, February 10, March 2, and May 11th. All trips will depart
      from Monterey. Please see the www.shearwaterjourneys.com for more
      information.

      The complete species list for OCTOBER 19 BODEGA BAY/OCTOBER 20
      MONTEREY BAY, 2007 FOLLOWS:

      PACIFIC LOON-0/4
      COMMON LOON-6/14
      RED-NECKED GREBE-1/0