re re respecting the Yellow-bellied

  • Mark Brown
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 3, 2007
      All:
      My understanding of the situation is that Daniel Cooper did report
      this bird on September 11, 2007 as a possible Yellow-bellied, but that
      the bird did not call. I am reliably informed that the bird did not
      call on September 21st either. Yellow-bellied is a review bird and to
      call one without hearing it would be exposing one to shame and
      damnation in some corners. So, the philosophical question is how
      certain does one have to be of a bird before you send that email off
      which will launch a thousand cars driving to Kern County?? To post
      asking people to in their armchairs discuss some good photos of an
      empidonax is not the same as making a report to the rare bird
      committee or saying for sure in a post to Calbirds that this is 100% a
      Yellow-bellied Flycatcher. I think it is acceptable behavior not to
      send an email to Calbirds, saying "yeah I saw that weird empidonax
      that resembles a Yellow-bellied but I did not hear it call just as
      previously reported." People are unsure what this bird is I think that
      was the point of Oscars post.

      Regards,

      Mark Brown
      Santa Maria
    • Jim Greaves
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 3, 2007
        The bird posted by Oscar for David is remarkably similar in features
        to one I photographed on 16 Sept 2007, the lower 3 Empid images I
        posted here (which we now call Pac-slope):

        http://mysite.verizon.net/res1u8vm/LEFLandNOWA.html

        Agreeing with Mark Brown ... notice of possible YbFl was posted at
        kerncobirding, but I don't recall other ...

        Also, I WOULD appreciate feed-back as to validity of calling top 4
        images "Least" at my site... The only "certain" Least in my photo
        array appears to be the middle one of bird full-frontal perched
        (though I have a few more of VERY inferior quality) -- there was a
        query as to whether the top 4 might be Willow... -- do I now have
        Yellow-bellied as a life bird? Or are these birds so similar as to
        defy identification from the relatively "excellent" photos of David
        (and of mine)? Thanks for any new feedback, and to those who already
        commented on my probable misidentification(s)... I did, however, at
        least see the Least!

        Jim Greaves
        Santa Barbara CA

        --- In CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Brown" <lawoffmarkbrown@...>