MARBLED MURRELETS & FRIENDLY HUMPBACK: Monterey Bay Pelagic Trip Report: September 29, 2007

  • Debra Shearwater
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2007
      Howdy, Seabirders,

      Well, it turned out to be a fantastic day for seabirds and marine
      mammals on the otherwise, windy albacore trip from Monterey Bay with
      Shearwater Journeys on Saturday, September 29, 2007. Albacore were
      not in reach, being more than 85 miles offshore. So, we headed north
      to the canyons off Davenport. Seas were choppy and the northwest
      winds made birding difficult. So, we decided to head for nearshore
      Santa Cruz where we could hide in the lee of the mountains. This
      turned out to be a great idea! Soon, we had marvelous views of
      MARBLED MURRELETS which absolutely delighted everyone on board,
      especially the photographers. We saw the usual late fall seabirds,
      but the stand out highlight of the day was a FRIENDLY HUMPBACK WHALE
      that was RADIO TAGGED!! This whale hung around our boat, swam under
      the bow, spyhopped within feet of our faces, repeatedly, blew snot in
      our cameras, and even went belly up, under the bow. This lasted for
      about 20 minutes, while the various whale watching boats sat around
      watching the show under our vessel!

      Many thanks to all of the birders/photographers who joined our trip!
      Some awesome photographs were shot. The leaders were: Luke Cole,
      Brian Sullivan, Jim Danzenbaker, Steve Howell, Don Doolittle, & Debra
      Shearwater. Spaces are still open on all of our Monterey trips for
      the remainder of the fall season, beginning this weekend: OCTOBER 5,
      6 (ALBACORE), 7, 12, 13, 14 (ALBACORE), and 20th. Please contact
      Debra Shearwater for a reservation.

      The complete species list for the SEPTEMBER 29, 2007 MONTEREY BAY
      PELAGIC TRIP follows:

      RED-THROATED LOON-1
      COMMON LOON-1
      EARED GREBE-1
      WESTERN GREBE-20
      CLARK'S GREBE-2
      WESTERN/CLARK'S GREBE-20
      BLACK-FOOTED ALBATROSS-6 to 9
      NORTHERN FULMAR-12
      PINK-FOOTED SHEARWATER-153
      BULLER'S SHEARWATER-113
      SOOTY SHEARWATER-35
      ASHY STORM-PETREL-3
      BLACK STORM-PETREL-2
      BROWN PELICAN-85
      BRANDT'S CORMORANT-1060
      DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANT-7
      PELAGIC CORMORANT-7
      SURF SCOTER-1
      RED-NECKED PHALAROPE-15 to 20
      SOUTH POLAR SKUA-8 to 10
      POMARINE JAEGER-23
      PARASITIC JAEGER-2
      HEERMANN'S GULL-41
      CALIFORNIA GULL-350
      WESTERN GULL-400
      SABINE'S GULL-8
      ELEGANT TERN-66
      COMMON MURRE-100
      PIGEON GUILLEMOT-3
      MARBLED MURRELET-9
      RHINOCEROS AUKLET-20 to 30
      SEA OTTER-12
      CALIFORNIA SEA LION-250
      HUMPBACK WHALE-5, one "friendly" with a radio tag
      NORTHERN RIGHT WHALE DOLPHIN-150
      PACIFIC WHITE-SIDED DOLPHIN-200

      Friendlys forever,

      DEBRA SHEARWATER