Just Another Day in Paradise: Monterey Bay, Sep 23, 2007

  • Debra Shearwater
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 23, 2007
      Hello, Seabirders,

      Well, as the song goes, it was "Just Another Day in Paradise" on the
      Shearwater Journey's pelagic trip from Monterey today. Beautiful
      light on the Pacific Grove coastline and puffy clouds over the
      mountain ranges surrounding Monterey Bay greeted us this morning.
      Highlights of today's trip included the continuing great sea
      conditions and the flocks of STORM-PETRELS: 8 WILSON'S, 1 FORK-
      TAILED, 4000 ASHYS, and 1000 BLACKS. A few BLACK-FOOTED ALBATROSSES
      remain, along with one FLESH-FOOTED SHEARWATER. SOOTY SHEARWATERS
      seem to have departed for the southern hemisphere already—about 7-10
      earlier than usual, while BULLER'S SHEARWATERS seem to be staging to
      leave, gathering in flocks. Jaeger numbers have dwindled, but SOUTH
      POLAR SKUAS continue to harass the gulls. A BREACHING HUMPBACK WHALE
      and small groups of RISSO'S DOLPHINS topped off the day.

      Shearwater Journeys thanks all of the participants and the leaders:
      Jennifer Green, Steve Howell, Michael O'Brien, Brian Sullivan, &
      chummer: Lizbeth Tinajero. We still have spaces open on tomorrow's
      trip from Monterey, and the marine forecast looks good. Many birders
      ask me when to go out to see the storm-petrels, and there could never
      be a better time than Right Now! All trips on our schedule have
      spaces open. Please see our web site: www.shearwaterjourneys.com.

      We would like to revise the numbers of BLACK STORM-PETRELS on the
      SEPTEMBER 22, 2007 trip from 1000+ to: 2000, after reviewing
      photographic images from that day. Also, I neglected to mention the
      most significant bird of the trip, which was a DARK MORPH PINK-FOOTED
      SHEARWATER, photographed. This individual was not as dark as the one
      observed on the Sep 14, 2007 pelagic trip from Bodega Bay.

      The complete species list for SEPTEMBER 23, 2007 MONTEREY BAY follows:

      COMMON LOON-1
      BLACK-FOOTED ALBATROSS-3
      NORTHERN FULMAR-2
      PINK-FOOTED SHEARWATER-110