Monterey Bay Pelagic Reports: Sep 10 & 11, 2007

  • Debra Shearwater
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 13, 2007
      Hello, Seabirders,

      The Shearwater Journey's series of pelagic trips continued with
      incredible success with trips from Monterey Bay on Monday, September
      10th and Tuesday, September 11th. These trips climaxed a series of
      six trips in seven days—all unique and offering a different
      experience each day. Fall seabird migration is peaking, and we were
      not disappointed! Highlights on the September 10th trip included: a
      MANX SHEARWATER spotted and photographed by leader Brian Sullivan
      (eBird), a FLESH-FOOTED SHEARWATER, ASHY & BLACK STORM-PETRELS; all
      three species of JAEGERS; SOUTH POLAR SKUAS, and all of the "regular"
      fall migrants. One highlight of the trip was an incredible show of
      1200 NORTHERN RIGHT WHALE DOLPHINS breezing in acrobatic formation
      and a pectoral-fin-slapping HUMPBACK WHALE. Highlights of the
      September 11th trip included: a massive, spectacular feeding flock of
      150,000+ SOOTY SHEARWATERS, chasing anchovies, along with 1000+
      PACIFIC WHITE-SIDED DOLPHINS, also chasing anchovies! it was a sight
      to behold. The female HARLEQUIN DUCK continues in the harbor. Again,
      all three species of jaegers and South Polar Skuas were found, along
      with BLACK-FOOTED ALBATROSSES. The sea conditions finally changed on
      September 11th. We had enjoyed flat, calm, mirror-glassy seas for our
      previous five trips, but on September 11th there was wind chop,
      making it much more difficult to see find the storm-petrel flocks,
      although we did still find scattered storm-petrels. One WILSON'S
      STORM-PETREL, and one FORK-TAILED STORM-PETREL along with 159 ASHY
      STORM-PETRELS, and 40 BLACK STORM-PETRELS were recorded.

      Shearwater Journeys thanks all of the participants who made these
      trips so successful, and the leaders. SJ leaders for September 10th
      were: Brian Sullivan, Alan Hopkins, Mike Rogers, Don Doolittle, &
      Debra Shearwater. SJ leaders for the September 11th trip were: Brian
      Sullivan, Ted Chandik, Don Doolittle, Al DeMartini, & Debra
      Shearwater. The full trip report follows.

      Our next trips with spaces available this weekend are: Friday, SEP
      14th from Bodega Bay (meet at 6:30 am at Port O'Bodega to board the
      NEW SEA ANGLER), and Sunday, SEP 16th from Fort Bragg ( meet at 6:30
      am in Noyo Harbor to board the TREK II). I will be out of contact by
      phone or email until September 17th. If you are interested in either
      of these trips, just show up at the dock; check the web site for more
      info. For the following trips, advance reservations are necessary.
      From Monterey, we have trips on SEPTEMBER 21, 22, 23, 24, 28;
      OCTOBER 5, 7, 12, 13, & 20. ALBACORE trips from MONTEREY with spaces
      still open: SEPTEMBER 29 & OCTOBER 6 & 14th. Trips from Bodega Bay
      with spaces open: SEPTEMBER 30 & OCTOBER 19TH.

      The species list for SEPTEMBER 10/11, 2007 FOLLOWS:

      PACIFIC LOON-0/1
      COMMON LOON-0/1
      EARED GREBE-0/1
      BLACK-FOOTED ALBATROSS-6/7
      NORTHERN FULMAR-3/1
      PINK-FOOTED SHEARWATER-423/232/
      FLESH-FOOTED SHEARWATER-1/0
      BULLER'S SHEARWATER-17/38
      SOOTY SHEARWATER-23,315/150,000+
      *MANX SHEARWATER-1/0
      WILSON'S STORM-PETREL-0/1
      FORK-TAILED STORM-PETREL-0/1
      ASHY STORM-PETREL-419/159
      BACK STORM-PETREL-3/40
      BROWN PELICAN-+/75
      BRANDT'S CORMORANT-300/1240
      PELAGIC CORMORANT-2/4
      HARLEQUIN DUCK-1/1, female in the harbor
      MARBLED GOTWIT-0/2
      BLACK TURNSTONE-2/3
      SURFBIRD-0/7
      RED-NECKED PHALAROPE-145/34