RE: [CALBIRDS] RE: How widespread in CA is African Collared-Dove?

  • Kimball Garrett
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 7, 2007
      [Note: I'm not the listowner, but it's my opinion that Streptopelia
      doves are part of the California avifauna, and therefore fair game for
      discussion on this list serve; I agree that discussions of population
      genetics may not qualify, however.]

      Two quick points:

      (1) Floyd surely is seeing African Collared-Doves (= "Barbary" or
      "Ringed Turtle-" Doves), and I didn't mean to imply in my previous
      messages that pale variant ECDs were the only possible explanation for
      what he was seeing. Domestic African Collared-Doves (ACDs or RTDs)
      escape very frequently, and of course central Los Angeles used to have a
      population that was even "ABA Countable" in the 1960s and 1970s (and had
      been established by the 1940s or earlier). Various morphs of ACDs are
      still released at the sorts of celebrations and public events that
      require liberation of large numbers of totally discombobulated domestic
      birds, and individuals escape all the time.

      (2) Regarding the discussion of ECDs being largely absent from most
      large urban areas such as the main San Francisco Bay metropolis, I think
      this is partly a matter of habitat -- this species generally doesn't do
      well in heavily urban areas. ECDs are absent or rare (tiny, very
      localized populations) in most of the greater Los Angeles urban area as
      well. This species depends almost entirely on grain -- in agricultural
      areas, weedy rural areas, industrial areas with grain mills, railroad
      right-of-ways in grain-producing regions, etc. Just about its only
      option in highly urbanized areas is commercial bird seed at feeders, and
      apparently there aren't enough feeders to sustain ECD populations in
      most highly urbanized areas.

      I'd much rather be out looking at Arctic Warblers than blabbing on about
      feral doves....

      Kimball

      Kimball L. Garrett
      Ornithology Collections Manager