Southern California Bird Box

  • john small
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 7, 2007
      Hi birders, I don't know if anyone's aware, but the Southern California bird box is back in
      operation.

      Thank You
      John Small
      Torrance, CA

      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 26, 2008
        Greetings all SoCal Birders.

        I have a silly question, ridiculous as it may seem. The Southern
        California bird box(818-952 -5502) has been in working order since before
        Christmas. And last
        time I checked, it(the bird box) was operating just fine. And that was
        just this morning 2-26-08. Now what would seen would be a rather dumb
        question, why do
        you SoCal birders choose not to report on it? I just thought I'd bring it
        to light.

        Good Birding
        John Small
        Torrance,CA

      • doug@basiclink.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 26, 2008
          John,

          I know you never agree with me on anything, but let's see if this
          makes sense. IMHO The SoCal Birdbox has no real benefits any
          longer. E-mail, Cell Phones and Text messages have replace the
          antiquated telephone systems. You can get up to date information
          in a much quicker fashion by using any of the three I mentioned.
          The reliability of the SoCal Birdbox has always been in question.

          Just my 2 cents.

          Douglas Aguillard
          San Diego, CA
          doug@...
          http://sdbirds.basiclink.com

          --

          On Tue Feb 26 18:44:37 CST 2008, John_Small@... wrote:

          > Greetings all SoCal Birders.
          >

          > I have a silly question, ridiculous as it may seem. The Southern
          > California bird box(818-952 -5502) has been in working order
          > since before Christmas. And last
          > time I checked, it(the bird box) was operating just fine. And
          > that was just this morning 2-26-08. Now what would seen would be
          > a rather dumb question, why do
          > you SoCal birders choose not to report on it? I just thought I'd
          > bring it to light.
          >

          > Good Birding
          > John Small
          > Torrance,CA

          > For vacation suspension of mail go to the website. Click on Edit
          > My Membership and set your mail option to No Email. Or, send a
          > blank email to these addresses:
          >
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Christopher Taylor
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 26, 2008
            IMHO, I never call the bird boxes anymore and would prefer if everything
            was just communicated over e-mail. Having everything sent to my blackberry
            makes directions so much easier to follow. It also allows me to fly
            through the reports I don't care to read and I have filters in place to
            highlight areas or birds that I am interested in seeing. It's a much
            faster and more efficient way to communicate. I even wrote a script to
            convert all the bloody banding code acronyms to the full bird's name.
            But that's just my $.02.

            --
            Christopher Taylor
            Marina del Rey, CA

            I know you never agree with me on anything, but let's see if this
            makes sense. IMHO The SoCal Birdbox has no real benefits any
            longer. E-mail, Cell Phones and Text messages have replace the
            antiquated telephone systems. You can get up to date information
            in a much quicker fashion by using any of the three I mentioned.
            The reliability of the SoCal Birdbox has always been in question.

            Just my 2 cents.

            Douglas Aguillard
            San Diego, CA
            doug@...
            http://sdbirds.basiclink.com

            --

            On Tue Feb 26 18:44:37 CST 2008, John_Small@... wrote:

            > Greetings all SoCal Birders.
            >

            > I have a silly question, ridiculous as it may seem. The Southern
            > California bird box(818-952 -5502) has been in working order
            > since before Christmas. And last
            > time I checked, it(the bird box) was operating just fine. And
            > that was just this morning 2-26-08. Now what would seen would be
            > a rather dumb question, why do
            > you SoCal birders choose not to report on it? I just thought I'd
            > bring it to light.
            >

            > Good Birding
            > John Small
            > Torrance,CA

            > For vacation suspension of mail go to the website. Click on Edit
            > My Membership and set your mail option to No Email. Or, send a
            > blank email to these addresses:
            >
            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • JOHN STERLING
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 26, 2008
              Us northerners still call the BirdBox when we are traveling due to lack of
              internets access. So I hope that people still use it as it is easier than
              calling/bugging a local birder to find out the latest bird news.

              John Sterling

              VVVVVVVVVV

              26 Palm Ave

              Woodland, CA 95695

              cell 530 908-3836

              ani@...

              doug@... <mailto:doug%40basiclink.com>
              http://sdbirds.basiclink.com

              --

              <mailto:John_Small%40toyota.com> wrote:

              > Greetings all SoCal Birders.
              >

              > I have a silly question, ridiculous as it may seem. The Southern
              > California bird box(818-952 -5502) has been in working order
              > since before Christmas. And last
              > time I checked, it(the bird box) was operating just fine. And
              > that was just this morning 2-26-08. Now what would seen would be
              > a rather dumb question, why do
              > you SoCal birders choose not to report on it? I just thought I'd
              > bring it to light.
              >

              > Good Birding
              > John Small
              > Torrance,CA

              <mailto:CALBIRDS-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.com>
              <mailto:CALBIRDS-owner%40yahoogroups.com>

              > For vacation suspension of mail go to the website. Click on Edit
              > My Membership and set your mail option to No Email. Or, send a
              > blank email to these addresses:
              <mailto:CALBIRDS-nomail%40yahoogroups.com>
              <mailto:CALBIRDS-normal%40yahoogroups.com>

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Don Roberson
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 26, 2008
                I call the So. Cal. BirdBox whenever I go to southern California. I
                have posted there before and would if I had any good birds to post. I
                would hope that major rarities would be there. I do not have Internet
                access when traveling in the south, but I do have a cell phone, so
                having posts on the BirdBox would be a great help to me, and others
                like me.

                Don Roberson
                Pacific Grove CA
                http://montereybay.com/creagrus/
              • wagtail1997
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 26, 2008
                  Let me add my 5 cents (my time is more valuable than 2 cents) to this
                  discussion about phone vs other electronic RBAs.

                  I was just in the same situation.... maintain out of my pocket a phone
                  RBA for Orange County AND a Yahoo Groups Internet newsletter-type RBA,
                  or get rid of the phone line.

                  The phone line by necessity is a business line. No outgoing calls.
                  Just to move the line into my new place cost $233 for installation.
                  Costs varied but about $19 a month was about average. As one person
                  once said... a few dollars here, a few dollars there, and pretty soon
                  you are talking a lot of money.... and after 8 or 9 years, including
                  the cost of a state of the art answering machine... enough to buy for
                  me a state of the art new pair of binoculars!!! Trying to fund a
                  non-sponsored RBA, as I think the Birdbox is, is problematical. The
                  costs should be spread among all of us.... usually through society
                  sponsorship. I don't think that's happened with the LA Birdbox...and
                  it has had it's ups and downs with maintenance. If an RBA can't be
                  relied upon, it will not be used regularly.

                  Researching phone RBAs, I found a policy statement by the ABA asking
                  that they be continued. This was specifically for people who don't
                  have computers (obviously not anyone reading this message) or people
                  visiting an area from out of town.

                  I was in discussion with Sea and Sage Audubon Society about the
                  dropping of the phone line or the possibility of having them take over
                  the ownership of the number and thus the bill payment (although the
                  phone would not change numbers or leave my home office)... and there
                  was some mixed feelings.

                  That probably changed with the Roseate Spoonbill coming exactly when I
                  was monitoring the messages coming into the RBA in a given week.
                  Typically, the phone would get on a weekday 1 or 2 incoming calls
                  only, and maybe 5 or 10 on weekends. That jumped to 25 or more per
                  day when the Spoonbill was in Orange County. (Of course that could be
                  one person calling 25 times!!!) RBA phone lines work best when a
                  mega rarity is in the area.

                  Not everyone has text messaging or networking. I was chained to the
                  phone that week (also due to a roof leak and repairs)... and was able
                  to field incoming messages and change the outgoing message quickly....
                  so I think a number of birders who saw the Spoonbill would not have,
                  if the phone RBA was not in existence.

                  Sea and Sage Audubon has taken over sponsorship of the Orange County
                  RBA phone line, and I'm grateful for them because of it.

                  Joel Weintraub
                  Dana Point, CA
                • Lori Conrad
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 26, 2008
                    Hi all

                    Here's my 3.5 cents.........

                    Not everyone has the ability to receive emails on their cell phones, so it would be nice (& considerate!) if people would post their sightings on the Birdbox, as well as on the internet.

                    Awhile back there was a rather lengthy discussion regarding people who called only a small group of people (referred to as "elite") when they discovered a rarity. How much harder would it be to call a 2nd number to get the word out to more people?

                    Here's a suggestion: Try calling the NoCal Birdox sometime. Every single day there are several new messages. If they can utilize it, what makes SoCal so different? What is it that says because you happen to be able to access the internet on your cell or blackberry, that you shouldn't share your sightings with those who don't? I'm sure there are many of us who have had the not-so-pleasant experience of getting home after birding, only to find out after checking their computer that a rarity was seen not far from where they had just been? How frustrating is that?
                    Does that elite word need to be mentioned again?

                    Just my opinion, but I know I'm not alone in that sentiment. The pot has been stirred!

                    Lori Conrad
                    Hermosa Beach, CA

                  • Oscar Johnson
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 27, 2008
                      All,

                      It seems to me like the SoCal Birdbox has potential to be extremely
                      helpful, but currently seems to be neglected. With all the new
                      technology now available it may be tempting to stick with
                      internet-based reporting, but I know that for many of us (myself
                      included) we can't check our e-mail besides when we are at home. The
                      phone tree does still work, and I don't think it should be abandoned,
                      but it is certainly not any inconvenience to call the birdbox,
                      especially for quick dissemination of information when still in the
                      field. It seems to me as though what the SoCal birdbox needs to be
                      used effectively again is that for one, it needs to be reliable (I
                      don't mean this as a insult, but it goes down way more than any other
                      birdbox I have ever used), expanded to include all of Southern
                      California (as its name implies; San Diego, Orange, Imperial,
                      Riverside, San Bernardino, Ventura, Santa Barbara, Kern, and Inyo
                      Counties), and just get people to start using it again. Looking at the
                      Monterey Birdbox as an example, it seems to me like the text message
                      idea is most useful, and almost all new cell phones have this feature.
                      The idea is just that if someone so pleases, whenever a new message is
                      posted to the birdbox, a text message is sent to their phone telling
                      them that there is a new message.

                      I'm all for trying to revive it, and especially since it is apparently
                      already being funded from a steady source (correct me if i'm wrong).

                      Oscar Johnson
                      Santa Barbara
                    • john small
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 31, 2008
                        Good Afternoon SoCal Birders, just an inquiry of curiousity. Several months ago, the Southern California Birdbox ph. no.was deleted with the promise of new phone line to be
                        reinstilled very soon. That said, will there be a new bird box ph. in the near future? I thought I'd just inqiure.

                        Thank You
                        John Small
                        Torrance,  CA