RE: [CALBIRDS] How widespread in CA is African Collared-Dove?

  • Rusty Scalf
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 6, 2007
      > By the way, here in Half Moon Bay, San Mateo County the Collared Dove

      > is now the second most common dove in town after Mourning. There are
      > more of them than Rock Pigeon

      It seems that these Doves have leap-frogged the San Francisco Basin.

      I was in Lee Vining recently and would estimate the Collared/Mourning
      ratio at about 3 to 1. And they're certainly all over the San Joaquin
      Valley.

      If they're that common on the San Mateo Coast, I wonder why this is not
      the case in Oakland and Berkeley. They're about, but nothing like what
      you describe.

      Rusty Scalf
    • dsuddjian@aol.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 7, 2007
        In a message dated 9/6/2007 11:57:21 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
        rfs_berkeley@... writes:

        If they're that common on the San Mateo Coast, I wonder why this is not
        the case in Oakland and Berkeley. They're about, but nothing like what
        you describe.

        Maybe it is a matter of scale. In Santa Cruz County we are seeing the pattern
        of expanding nuclei that Al mentions in the cities of Santa Cruz and
        Watsonville, but while the species is becoming increasingly widespread here it remains
        patchy and much more sporadic in other parts of the county. There are still
        significant areas of likely habitat where one would have a hard time finding
        ECD on order.

        Interestingly, ECD was present in a nucleus area in western Santa Cruz for
        several years before the regional invasion hit central CA a few years ago. It
        remained quite local in that nucleus for years and only exhibited the strong
        expanding pattern within western Santa Cruz coincident with the species'
        broadscale arrival in central CA two to three years ago. But in Watsonville there
        apparently were no nuclei before the regional invasion reached SCZ, but the
        expanding nuclei pattern then developed there. My impression is that the local
        pattern of nuclear explosion (if you'll pardon me) is fueled by the ongoing
        broadscale influx.

        David Suddjian
        Capitola, CA

      • Floyd Hayes
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 7, 2007
          I don't doubt that there are pale Eurasian
          Collared-Doves resembling African Collared-Doves, but
          I was familiar with both of these species from the
          Caribbean and I'm quite confident both are present in
          the Napa Valley. On 2 January I saw about five of each
          (the pale ones aren't rare), with the Eurasian
          Collared-Doves giving three-noted calls and the
          presumed African Collared-Doves giving two-noted
          calls. I just posted photos at:

          http://www.geocities.com/floyd_hayes/collared-doves.html

          Incidentally, in contrast with the North American
          mainland, Eurasian Collared-Doves are spreading very
          slowly in the Caribbean. Despite an initial release in
          the northern Bahamas (New Providence in 1974) it is
          still relatively rare in the central and southern
          Bahamas (my brother and I photographed San Salvador's
          2nd in 2004). Unknown to most people, the birds were
          definitely released (well documented) on Guadeloupe in
          1976 (Barre et al., Pitirre 9(2):2-4, 1996), from
          which they slowly spread northward, only recently
          arriving in the Virgin Islands (one record, a bird I
          photographed in 2003), and they also spread southward,
          arriving in Dominica in 1987 and Martinique in 1994. I
          don't think they have been recorded yet on any islands
          to the south of Martinique except Trinidad, far to the
          south, where I photographed one (origin unknown) in
          2000.

          Floyd Hayes
          Hidden Valley Lake, CA

        • Kimball Garrett
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 7, 2007
            [Note: I'm not the listowner, but it's my opinion that Streptopelia
            doves are part of the California avifauna, and therefore fair game for
            discussion on this list serve; I agree that discussions of population
            genetics may not qualify, however.]

            Two quick points:

            (1) Floyd surely is seeing African Collared-Doves (= "Barbary" or
            "Ringed Turtle-" Doves), and I didn't mean to imply in my previous
            messages that pale variant ECDs were the only possible explanation for
            what he was seeing. Domestic African Collared-Doves (ACDs or RTDs)
            escape very frequently, and of course central Los Angeles used to have a
            population that was even "ABA Countable" in the 1960s and 1970s (and had
            been established by the 1940s or earlier). Various morphs of ACDs are
            still released at the sorts of celebrations and public events that
            require liberation of large numbers of totally discombobulated domestic
            birds, and individuals escape all the time.

            (2) Regarding the discussion of ECDs being largely absent from most
            large urban areas such as the main San Francisco Bay metropolis, I think
            this is partly a matter of habitat -- this species generally doesn't do
            well in heavily urban areas. ECDs are absent or rare (tiny, very
            localized populations) in most of the greater Los Angeles urban area as
            well. This species depends almost entirely on grain -- in agricultural
            areas, weedy rural areas, industrial areas with grain mills, railroad
            right-of-ways in grain-producing regions, etc. Just about its only
            option in highly urbanized areas is commercial bird seed at feeders, and
            apparently there aren't enough feeders to sustain ECD populations in
            most highly urbanized areas.

            I'd much rather be out looking at Arctic Warblers than blabbing on about
            feral doves....

            Kimball

            Kimball L. Garrett
            Ornithology Collections Manager