RE: [CALBIRDS] How widespread in CA is African Collared-Dove?

  • Alvaro Jaramillo
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 6, 2007
      Kimball et al.

      Believe it or not I was thinking of sending a note along the same lines
      as what you wrote to ID frontiers, but now that the conversation is on here,
      I will add a few bits. I have been seeing a small proportion of the Half
      Moon Bay, San Mateo County population of Euro Collared-Dove which are pale,
      �risoria-like� but definitely E. Collared-Doves. I too have wondered about
      the significance of this, and have thought that it is not due to local
      releases, or hybridization but an aspect of the founder population in North
      America. I guess that the slightly different spin I would put on it is that
      the key elements may be the amazing expansion of the population and the
      short time it has taken for this to happen. Assuming that the founder
      population (Bahamas was it?) had pale Ringed T-D like birds, these genes
      will remain in the growing population in the same proportion as they started
      unless there is direct selection against them. My guess is that there is
      selection against them, but given the huge and quick expansion there just
      hasn�t been that much time for this genotype to get weeded out from the
      general population. I am no population geneticist, but I wonder also if in
      an exponentially growing population which seems to have no immediate
      limitation in its population growth, if selection against a plumage type
      such as this is somehow lessened? So if we started with a founder population
      of let�s say 5% pale birds, in such a short time (twenty years or so?) the
      expanding population may still have several percent pale birds involved. I
      would predict that as populations eventually stabilize, and higher levels of
      competition set in as the Collared-Dove niche is �filled� these pale birds
      will be weeded out by natural selection (differential predation on them,
      aggression from other doves, perhaps lesser ability to forage effectively
      due to this�etc). Like I said, I am no population geneticist, and if there
      is one out there who can say � Al you are full of it, I would be happy to
      learn from someone �in the know.�

      Also, some additional information about Caribbean populations
      which I have been able to see while on tour. In the Lesser Antilles, the
      distribution of the dove is still expanding, and it appears that there may
      have been more than the one introduction to the Bahamas. For example the
      French Islands (Martinique and Guadeloupe) have huge populations of the
      dove, while the island in-between (Dominica) has very few. The French
      Islands are much more built up than Dominica, and this surely has an effect,
      but given that the French Islands have various other introduced species,
      while Dominica does not, suggests that the dove was introduced to the French
      Islands. Puerto Rico also has a population which may have been an
      independent introduction from the Bahamas birds. The birds in Puerto Rico
      are very mixed looking, patchy birds, pale birds etc. The general thought is
      that they are mixed populations between Euro Collared-Dove and �Ringed
      Turtle-Dove� however on the west side of the island where the population was
      pretty big, vocally birds were Eurasian Collared-Doves, although their
      appearance was variable. In Guadeloupe and Martinique, birds were more
      standard looking although pale birds were regularly seen.

      Regards

      Alvaro

      Alvaro Jaramillo

      HYPERLINK "mailto:chucao@..."chucao@...

      Half Moon Bay, California

      Field Guides - Birding Tours Worldwide

      HYPERLINK "http://www.fieldguides.com"www.fieldguides.com

      _____

      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 6, 2007
        Al-

        If a population is rapidly expanding, it must by definition be experiencing
        relatively low natural selection because more young survive and reproduce
        than in stable populations. Therefore, your argument about recessives not
        being weeded out makes sense.

        Jan Leonard

        Half Moon Bay

> [...]

        within the normal range [of Eurasian Collared-Dove]-, very pale
        individuals and others that are creamy buff like 'S. risoria' [RTD}
        occur quite frequently in Britain. There is no reason to suppose the
        mutants are of hybrid origin." Mention of pale creamy buff variants is
        also made in the BNA account by Christina Romagosa, and such morphs were
        noted by Bill Smith in some of the earliest populations established in
        the U. S.

        In any case, my point is that I'm not sure we should necessarily call
        these pale birds RTDs (or, more properly, domesticated forms of African
        Collared-Doves)-, absent a more thorough study. It seems likely that many
        or most of them are ECDs. If you encounter a pale bird, pay close
        attention to voice; the relatively clear 3-note cooing ("coo-COO-coo"-)
        of ECD is utterly different from the guttural "koo-kRRRRooo" of RTDs.

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.
        3:18 PM

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.
        3:18 PM

        these addresses:

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        3:18 PM
      • Adam Winer
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 6, 2007
          We've veered far off the e-mail lists here, but that assertion
          is mathematically false. Differential survival rates of
          genotypes would have a huge impact on the eventual proportions
          in a rapidly expanding population, for exactly the same reason that
          relatively small differences in per-year returns on monetary investments
          have an enormous effect over long periods.

          The issue is not whether pale individuals are producing enough
          to expand rapidly; it's whether they're producing enough to
          expand as rapidly as "standard" individuals. As with anything
          biological, many caveats apply - is this a recessive gene, if so are there
          heterozygote advantages, is it more or less advantageous in some
          habitats, etc. etc. But the basic point stands: were this a
          significantly deleterious gene, it should get blasted out of
          the gene pool in the course of the population explosion.

          (BTW, I think the core fallacy is "rapidly expanding" equals
          "low natural selection". Intensity of natural selection has
          nothing to do with overall population changes, and everything to
          do with relative reproductive success across genotypes.)

          -- Adam Winer

          On 9/6/07, Janet Leonard <jlleonar@...> wrote:

          > Al-
          >
          > If a population is rapidly expanding, it must by definition be
          > experiencing
          > relatively low natural selection because more young survive and reproduce
          > than in stable populations. Therefore, your argument about recessives not
          > being weeded out makes sense.
          >
          > Jan Leonard
          >
          > Half Moon Bay

        • Chet ogan
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 6, 2007
            Floyd,
            I found breeding Eurasian Collared Dove in 2006 in
            Humboldt County, to my recollection they were first
            found at a feed and grain store in Eureka in 2005. I
            also had Eurasian Collared Dove at Cedarville, Modoc
            Co in July 2006. I saw my first Ringed Turtle Dove in
            Carpinteria, Ca in 2000 and Eurasian Collared Dove at
            the same exact location in 2001.

            Chet Ogan
            Eureka, Humboldt Co

            --- Steve Hampton <shampton@...> wrote:

            > Floyd,
            >
            > I think most consider the African Collared-Dove and
            > the Ringed Turtle-Dove to be distinct species, so
            > really there are three similar species we are
            > talking about:
            >
            > Ringed Turtle-Dove Streptopelia risoria
            > African Collared-Dove Streptopelia roseogrisea
            > Eurasian Collared-Dove Streptopelia decaocto
            >
            > Decaocto is now widespread in SE Calif and spreading
            > NW (from the nationwide expansion), and also has
            > some established populations along the coast (from
            > previous releases). It does associate with and
            > hybridize with risoria on occasion, but in general
            > risoria is rare in the wild, probably limited to
            > escapees who seem to find decaocto when lonely. I
            > haven't heard of roseogrisea in California.
            >
            > good birding,
            >

            > Steve Hampton
            > ________________
            > Resource Economist
            > Office of Spill Prevention and Response
            > California Dept of Fish and Game
            > PO Box 944209
            > Sacramento, CA 94244-2090
            > -----------------------------------
            > (916) 323-4724 phone
            > (916) 324-8829 fax
            > 10:39 AM >>>
            > How widespread in CA is African Collared-Dove (aka
            > Ringed Turtle-Dove)? Multiple African Collared-Doves
            > and Eurasian Collared-Doves showed up around the
            > same
            > time in Napa Valley. I'm curious to know if African
            > Collared-Doves are turning up elsewhere in CA
            > alongside Eurasian Collared-Doves, and what the
            > implications would be for human assistance in the
            > spread of Eurasian Collared-Doves.
            >
            > Floyd Hayes
            > Hidden Valley Lake, CA

            > For vacation suspension of mail go to the website.
            > Click on Edit My Membership and set your mail option
            > to No Email. Or, send a blank email to these
            > addresses:
            > Turn off email delivery:
            > mailto:CALBIRDS-nomail@yahoogroups.com
            > Resume email delivery:
            > mailto:CALBIRDS-normal@yahoogroups.com
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            Imagine there's no countries . . .It isn't hard to do
            Nothing to kill or die for . . . . And no religion too
            Imagine all the people . . . .. .Living life in peace...
            - J Lennon-

            Chet Ogan
            chet_ogan@...
            707-442-9353
          • Alvaro Jaramillo
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 6, 2007
              Adam

              I know exactly what you mean, this is why the time argument is the one
              that I am most confident in. Even with moderate selection against the pale
              birds, there may not have been much time to dent their relative proportion
              yet. I mean we really are talking about a short time frame here as far as
              populations go. I would throw out the idea that this is a �recessive gene�
              that is a very specific situation which I think is unlikely in this case.
              The �risoria-like� phenotype is probably due to more than one gene, although
              this is a guess. But then again the property of a gene being recessive or
              dominant has nothing to do with shifting its proportions in a population, as
              you note, selection for or against the gene does. This is why blue eyes are
              not �bred out� when blue eyed people have kids with brown eyed people, the
              genes stay in the same proportions as they started in�unless there is
              selection against them. So I would argue that the pale birds we see are
              still an effect of the founder population, there just hasn�t been enough
              time for this genotype to be selected out, but my guess is that it will, or
              at least it�s proportion will stabilize at a lower number than it is now.

              By the way, here in Half Moon Bay, San Mateo County the Collared Dove is now
              the second most common dove in town after Mourning. There are more of them
              than Rock Pigeon, and at least in town more than Band-tailed Pigeons. It
              only took three years or so for this to happen. What is interesting is how
              these doves colonize a place. They seem to have nuclei of occurrence where
              they begin from, and then expand outwardly from there. It is not a broad
              front invasion, but disparate spots where they arrive, and then the
              intervening areas fill in. This is a rather different mode of expansion than
              most other bird expansions we have seen on the continent. This is certainly
              THE ornithological event of our birding lifetimes I would say, and we are
              all overlooking it. Has there ever been such a massive expansion in such a
              quick time of any bird on the continent? The next best avian expansion story
              that I can think of is Great-tailed Grackle, but that pales to what these
              doves are doing. I mean the entire continent has been taken over in a few
              years.

              Thanks for the note!

              Al

[...]

              On 9/6/07, Janet Leonard <HYPERLINK
              "mailto:jlleonar@..."jlleonar@...> wrote:

              Al-

              If a population is rapidly expanding, it must by definition be experiencing
              relatively low natural selection because more young survive and reproduce
              than in stable populations. Therefore, your argument about recessives not
              being weeded out makes sense.

              Jan Leonard

              Half Moon Bay

              "'Calbirds'" <HYPERLINK "mailto:calbirds%40yahoogroups.com" \n
              calbirds@yahoogroups.com>
              Sent: Thursday, September 06, 2007 8:28 PM

[...]

              HYPERLINK "mailto:HYPERLINK "mailto:chucao%40coastside.net"
              \nchucao@..."HYPERLINK "mailto:chucao%40coastside.net" \n

              HYPERLINK "HYPERLINK "http://www.fieldguides.com"
              \nhttp://www.fieldguides.com"HYPERLINK

              From: HYPERLINK "mailto:CALBIRDS%40yahoogroups.com"
              \nCALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com [mailto:HYPERLINK
> [...]

              within the normal range [of Eurasian Collared-Dove]-, very pale
              individuals and others that are creamy buff like 'S. risoria' [RTD}
              occur quite frequently in Britain. There is no reason to suppose the
              mutants are of hybrid origin." Mention of pale creamy buff variants is
              also made in the BNA account by Christina Romagosa, and such morphs were
              noted by Bill Smith in some of the earliest populations established in
              the U. S.

              In any case, my point is that I'm not sure we should necessarily call
              these pale birds RTDs (or, more properly, domesticated forms of African
              Collared-Doves)-, absent a more thorough study. It seems likely that many
              or most of them are ECDs. If you encounter a pale bird, pay close
              attention to voice; the relatively clear 3-note cooing ("coo-COO-coo"-)
              of ECD is utterly different from the guttural "koo-kRRRRooo" of RTDs.

              HYPERLINK "mailto:HYPERLINK "mailto:kgarrett%25" \nkgarrett%HYPERLINK
              "http://40nhm.org" \n 40nhm.org"kgarrett@nhm.-org

              "mailto:HYPERLINK "mailto:CALBIRDS%25" \nCALBIRDS%HYPERLINK
              "http://40yahoogroups.com"40yahoogroups.com"HYPERLINK
              "mailto:CALBIRDS%40yahoogroup-s.com" \n CALBIRDS@...
              [mailto:HYPERLINK "mailto:HYPERLINK" \nHYPERLINK
              "mailto:HYPERLINK "mailto:CALBIRDS%25" \nCALBIRDS%HYPERLINK
              "http://40yahoogroups.com"40yahoogroups.com"HYPERLINK
              > How widespread in CA is African Collared-Dove (aka
              > Ringed Turtle-Dove)-? Multiple African Collared-Doves
              > and Eurasian Collared-Doves showed up around the same
              > time in Napa Valley. I'm curious to know if African
              > Collared-Doves are turning up elsewhere in CA
              > alongside Eurasian Collared-Doves, and what the
              > implications would be for human assistance in the
              > spread of Eurasian Collared-Doves.
              >
              > Floyd Hayes
              > Hidden Valley Lake, CA

              Checked by AVG Free Edition.
              3:18 PM

              Checked by AVG Free Edition.
              3:18 PM

              Unsubscribe: mailto:HYPERLINK
              "mailto:CALBIRDS-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.com"
              \nCALBIRDS-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
              Listowners: mailto:HYPERLINK "mailto:CALBIRDS-owner%40yahoogroups.com"
              \nCALBIRDS-owner@yahoogroups.com

              these addresses:
              Turn off email delivery: mailto:HYPERLINK
              "mailto:CALBIRDS-nomail%40yahoogroups.com" \nCALBIRDS-nomail@yahoogroups.com
              Resume email delivery: mailto:HYPERLINK
              "mailto:CALBIRDS-normal%40yahoogroups.com" \nCALBIRDS-normal@yahoogroups.com

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              3:18 PM

              Checked by AVG Free Edition.
              3:18 PM

              Checked by AVG Free Edition.
              3:18 PM

            • Janet Leonard
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 6, 2007
                Adam, Al et al.

                Relative reproductive success is a measure of natural selection; i.e. evolution through natural selection is measured as differential reproductive success (which includes likelihood of surviving to reproduce) of genotypes. That is, a genotype that produces more offspring is more fit (lower natural selection) than one that produces less. For the effects of expanding population size on evolution from a population genetics viewpoint see Kimura, M. 1995 PNAS and commentary by Damgaard 1996 in TREE. Certainly the presence of pale birds is derived from the founding population but if there were strong natural selection, they would quickly become rare. If it is a recessive trait they would never become extinct but they could quickly become rare.

                Jan Leonard

                Half Moon Bay

> [...]

                within the normal range [of Eurasian Collared-Dove]-, very pale
                individuals and others that are creamy buff like 'S. risoria' [RTD}
                occur quite frequently in Britain. There is no reason to suppose the
                mutants are of hybrid origin." Mention of pale creamy buff variants is
                also made in the BNA account by Christina Romagosa, and such morphs were
                noted by Bill Smith in some of the earliest populations established in
                the U. S.

                In any case, my point is that I'm not sure we should necessarily call
                these pale birds RTDs (or, more properly, domesticated forms of African
                Collared-Doves)-, absent a more thorough study. It seems likely that many
                or most of them are ECDs. If you encounter a pale bird, pay close
                attention to voice; the relatively clear 3-note cooing ("coo-COO-coo"-)
                of ECD is utterly different from the guttural "koo-kRRRRooo" of RTDs.

                Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                3:18 PM

                Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                3:18 PM

                these addresses:

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                3:18 PM

              • Rusty Scalf
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 6, 2007
                  > By the way, here in Half Moon Bay, San Mateo County the Collared Dove

                  > is now the second most common dove in town after Mourning. There are
                  > more of them than Rock Pigeon

                  It seems that these Doves have leap-frogged the San Francisco Basin.

                  I was in Lee Vining recently and would estimate the Collared/Mourning
                  ratio at about 3 to 1. And they're certainly all over the San Joaquin
                  Valley.

                  If they're that common on the San Mateo Coast, I wonder why this is not
                  the case in Oakland and Berkeley. They're about, but nothing like what
                  you describe.

                  Rusty Scalf
                • dsuddjian@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 7, 2007
                    In a message dated 9/6/2007 11:57:21 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
                    rfs_berkeley@... writes:

                    If they're that common on the San Mateo Coast, I wonder why this is not
                    the case in Oakland and Berkeley. They're about, but nothing like what
                    you describe.

                    Maybe it is a matter of scale. In Santa Cruz County we are seeing the pattern
                    of expanding nuclei that Al mentions in the cities of Santa Cruz and
                    Watsonville, but while the species is becoming increasingly widespread here it remains
                    patchy and much more sporadic in other parts of the county. There are still
                    significant areas of likely habitat where one would have a hard time finding
                    ECD on order.

                    Interestingly, ECD was present in a nucleus area in western Santa Cruz for
                    several years before the regional invasion hit central CA a few years ago. It
                    remained quite local in that nucleus for years and only exhibited the strong
                    expanding pattern within western Santa Cruz coincident with the species'
                    broadscale arrival in central CA two to three years ago. But in Watsonville there
                    apparently were no nuclei before the regional invasion reached SCZ, but the
                    expanding nuclei pattern then developed there. My impression is that the local
                    pattern of nuclear explosion (if you'll pardon me) is fueled by the ongoing
                    broadscale influx.

                    David Suddjian
                    Capitola, CA

                  • Floyd Hayes
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 7, 2007
                      I don't doubt that there are pale Eurasian
                      Collared-Doves resembling African Collared-Doves, but
                      I was familiar with both of these species from the
                      Caribbean and I'm quite confident both are present in
                      the Napa Valley. On 2 January I saw about five of each
                      (the pale ones aren't rare), with the Eurasian
                      Collared-Doves giving three-noted calls and the
                      presumed African Collared-Doves giving two-noted
                      calls. I just posted photos at:

                      http://www.geocities.com/floyd_hayes/collared-doves.html

                      Incidentally, in contrast with the North American
                      mainland, Eurasian Collared-Doves are spreading very
                      slowly in the Caribbean. Despite an initial release in
                      the northern Bahamas (New Providence in 1974) it is
                      still relatively rare in the central and southern
                      Bahamas (my brother and I photographed San Salvador's
                      2nd in 2004). Unknown to most people, the birds were
                      definitely released (well documented) on Guadeloupe in
                      1976 (Barre et al., Pitirre 9(2):2-4, 1996), from
                      which they slowly spread northward, only recently
                      arriving in the Virgin Islands (one record, a bird I
                      photographed in 2003), and they also spread southward,
                      arriving in Dominica in 1987 and Martinique in 1994. I
                      don't think they have been recorded yet on any islands
                      to the south of Martinique except Trinidad, far to the
                      south, where I photographed one (origin unknown) in
                      2000.

                      Floyd Hayes
                      Hidden Valley Lake, CA

                    • Kimball Garrett
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 7, 2007
                        [Note: I'm not the listowner, but it's my opinion that Streptopelia
                        doves are part of the California avifauna, and therefore fair game for
                        discussion on this list serve; I agree that discussions of population
                        genetics may not qualify, however.]

                        Two quick points:

                        (1) Floyd surely is seeing African Collared-Doves (= "Barbary" or
                        "Ringed Turtle-" Doves), and I didn't mean to imply in my previous
                        messages that pale variant ECDs were the only possible explanation for
                        what he was seeing. Domestic African Collared-Doves (ACDs or RTDs)
                        escape very frequently, and of course central Los Angeles used to have a
                        population that was even "ABA Countable" in the 1960s and 1970s (and had
                        been established by the 1940s or earlier). Various morphs of ACDs are
                        still released at the sorts of celebrations and public events that
                        require liberation of large numbers of totally discombobulated domestic
                        birds, and individuals escape all the time.

                        (2) Regarding the discussion of ECDs being largely absent from most
                        large urban areas such as the main San Francisco Bay metropolis, I think
                        this is partly a matter of habitat -- this species generally doesn't do
                        well in heavily urban areas. ECDs are absent or rare (tiny, very
                        localized populations) in most of the greater Los Angeles urban area as
                        well. This species depends almost entirely on grain -- in agricultural
                        areas, weedy rural areas, industrial areas with grain mills, railroad
                        right-of-ways in grain-producing regions, etc. Just about its only
                        option in highly urbanized areas is commercial bird seed at feeders, and
                        apparently there aren't enough feeders to sustain ECD populations in
                        most highly urbanized areas.

                        I'd much rather be out looking at Arctic Warblers than blabbing on about
                        feral doves....

                        kgarrett@...

                        Behalf