Arctic Tern in Goleta

  • vireoman2004
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3, 2007
      An adult ARCTIC TERN has been present at Coal Oil Point Reserve in
      Goleta (Santa Barbara County) since at least as early as Sunday (02 Sep
      2007). It was there most of Monday (Labor Day). The bird is an adult
      partially fading to winter, has oil on its lower abdomen and vent, as
      well as both wings' tips and tail. It does fly around, but is
      relatively "tame", and flew back to where we were watching it about 50
      feet from its usual area. Park in Isla Vista and extreme west end of
      Playa del Sol Road and walk the half mile (or so) to the point where it
      hangs, which is about 1/5 mile west of the Docent station at the Snowy
      Plover breeding area at the mouth of Devereux Creek. It can be seen, if
      still around, where the beach widens at the plugged mouth of the creek,
      where most of the flocks of gulls and Black-bellied plovers roost. We
      did not see it catch any food, though it made 4 flights over the slough
      (about 200 yards from where we were on south side of roped area) and
      then back again. At one point it flew directly at/over me while I was
      aiming camera at it. Needless to say, frustrating if too much power in
      one's lens! Anyway, I got some shots which I will post later. Elsewhere
      and seen by others: 2 Red knots and 2 Pectoral sandpipers, among some
      of the "rare" birds in Devereux Slough (see SBCObirding at yahoogroups
      for details) - Jim and Lark, Santa Barbara