Baird's & Buff-breasted Sandpipers at Struve Slough

  • Joe Devine
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3, 2007
      Yesterday (9/2) my wife & I went to Struve Slough in Watsonville, Ca.
      We found a group from Monterey on field trip. A BUFF-BREASTED
      SANDPIPER & BAIRD'S SANDPIPER, both juveniles, were scoped from the
      area described by Roger Wolfe. A few of us noticed a path on the east
      side of the slough & went to investigate from that side. We were able
      to get w/in 25 yds. of the birds from the other side; just below
      where some construction equipment & materials are stored. While
      viewing the birds from there, TWO juvenile BAIRD'S SANDPIPERS were
      seen as well as the Buff-breasted. (I have a rather poor picture
      showing both Baird's standing side by side.) We didn't find the Stilt
      Sandpiper.
      Access to the east side of Struve Slough is in a residential
      neighborhood, so parking is minimal. Exit Hwy 1 at Harkins
      Slough/Green Valley Rd., driving north on Green Valley Rd. Turn right
      (east) on Main St., cross Struve Slough & turn right (south) on
      Ohlone Parkway. Make a right on Kingfisher Dr., then a right on Heron
      Ct. At the end of Heron Ct. is trail access to the east side of
      Struve Slough. Parking may be available on Heron Ct. or Kingfisher
      Dr. Walk back north towards the bridge construction to find the birds
      on the mud flat just before the bridge.

      Joe Devine
      Modesto, Ca