LAAS Tropicbird Trip Full- Oct 20 Northern Channel Islands trip has Room!

  • toddamcgrath
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3, 2007
      Birders:

      The annual LAAS Tropicbird trip is once again sold out, but there are
      still spaces remaining on our October 20th trip around and past the
      northern Channel Islands. This area is a hotspot for cetacean and
      birdlife, and October 20th is an excellent time to see good numbers
      of Jaegers and shearwaters, plus a host of alcids. This trip has
      turned up rarities like Brown Booby, Manx and even American
      Oystercatcher around the Islands. This 8 hour trip is a great way to
      test your sealegs for one of our longer trips, while still seeing
      some great birds and mammals. A full trip description follows. I will
      be on boats for the next week solid, so if you have any questions
      contact LAAS as instructed below. I will get to your e-mails when I
      return on the 11th.

      I hope you can join us on the last trip for 2007! Stay tuned for out
      exciting 2008 schdule, which will be out soon!

      Todd McGrath
      SKUA@...
      Marina Del Rey CA

      Saturday, October 20 - A trip around the Northern Channel Islands
      Monument.

      This 8 hour trip departs from the Island Packer's dock in the Ventura
      Harbor at 8:00 a.m. on the fast catamaran Islander. After dropping
      off campers on Santa Cruz Island, we will have the boat to ourselves
      and cruise around Santa Cruz Island to the Santa Cruz passage by
      Santa Rosa Island and along the Santa Rosa Flats to the deeper water
      near San Nicolas Island. We will return by Arch Rock at Anacapa
      Island. Birds seen on prior trips: Northern Fulmar; Sooty, Pink-
      footed and Black-vented shearwaters; Leach's, Least and Ashy storm-
      petrels; cormorants (3); Parasitic and Pomarine jaegers; Sabine's
      Gull; rocky shorebirds (up to 5); Common Murre,Cassin's Auklet.
      Rarities: Buller's and Flesh-footed shearwaters; South Polar Skua;
      Long-tailed Jaeger. In 2002 a Streaked Shearwater, and in 2003 a
      Brown Booby and 2 Manx Shearwaters were seen. Blue, Fin and Humpback
      whales have been seen on this trip.

      Leaders: Jon Feenstra, Todd McGrath and David Pereksta.

      PELAGIC RESERVATION POLICY AND PROCEDURE

      Reservations will be accepted ONLY if ALL the following information
      is supplied:

      1) Trip desired

      2) Names of people in your party

      3) Phone numbers: (a) usual and (b) evening before event, in case of
      cancellation.

      4) Separate check (no cash please) to LAAS for exact amount for each
      trip.

      5) Self-addressed stamped envelope for confirmation and associated
      trip information.

      Send to:

      Los Angeles Audubon Society - Reservations

      PO Box 931057

      Los Angeles, CA 90093-1057

      If there is insufficient response, the trip will be cancelled four
      weeks prior to the scheduled date. You will be so notified and your
      fee returned. Your cancellation after that time will bring a refund
      only if there is a paid replacement.

      REFUND POLICY FOR PELAGIC TRIPS

      If a participant cancels 31 days or more prior to departure, a $5
      service charge will be deducted from the refund. There is no
      participant refund if requested fewer than 30 days before departure,
      unless there is a paid replacement available. Call LAAS for a
      possible replacement. Please do not offer the trip to a friend as it
      would be unfair to those on the waiting list. All pelagic trips must
      be filled 35 days prior to sailing. Please reserve early.

      Millie Newton is available at Audubon House 323-876-0202 on
      Wednesdays from noon to 4:00 PM to answer questions about field
      trips. Our office staff is also available Tuesday through Saturday
      for most reservation services.