Buff-breasted and Stilt Sandpipers Struve Slough Santa Cruz County

  • Roger Wolfe
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2007
      Calbirders,

      The MBB listserv is out of sorts so I thought I'd try to get the word
      out via Calbird,

      Yesterday morning Santa Cruz County's 2nd county record of BUFF-BREASTED
      SANDPIPER along with a juv. STILT SANDPIPER were found at Struve Slough
      in Watsonville.

      The birds were still present this morning and were photographed by Jeff
      Poklen see the BBSA photo at:
      http://www.pbase.com/jpkln/image/84914223/original

      Directions: If coming from the south take the Green Valley/Harkins
      Slough Rd. exit off Route 1 and bear right at the light onto Harkins
      Slough Rd. keep bearing right into the Westridge Industrial Park. Go all
      the way to West Marine corporate headquarters and to the very back of
      the parking lot behind the building. There you can access a footpath
      back in the direction you just came to the area where the bridge is
      under construction and the mudflats there.

      If coming from the north take the Highway 152 exit off Route 1 turn
      right on Green Valley, take a left at the second light onto Harkins
      Slough Rd. and bear right into Westridge Industrial Park. Proceed as
      directed above. Good Luck!

      Roger Wolfe
      Soquel, CA