SAN BENITO COUNTY BIRDING

  • Debra Shearwater
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 29, 2007
      Hello, Birders,

      This is a late report of several days of birding near Hollister, SAN
      BENITO COUNTY. Highlights included: a first county record of a female
      ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAK, and third county records of PALM WARBLER and
      YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOO. (at least to my knowledge). Sorry for the delay
      in this report, but I have been dealing with multiple-techno-
      meltdowns! Details follow. A BLACK-CHINNED HUMMINGBIRD was in my yard
      for the period, along with 3 or 4 "rufous."

      PALM WARBLER-1 feeding in the weeds, near the sunflower plants, seen
      from the Highway 25 pullout. First found on August 25th. Same place,
      about 6:45 am. Both mornings were heavy with overcast skies. I hoped
      that someone else would see this bird, but don't know if anyone else
      tried.

      AUGUST 26: At Paicines Reservoir south of Hollister on Highway 25
      from 6:40 am to 8:30 am.

      The PALM WARBLER continued in the same place as August 25th. I tried
      to get a photo of it, but it flew to the willow tree surrounded by
      water.
      A YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOO flew from the shore to the same willow tree. I
      was able to scope it in the tree, briefly.

      Other migrants on August 26:
      Common merganser-1
      Semipalmated plover-1
      Least sandpiper-2
      Western kingbird-4
      Cassin's kingbird-2
      Bullock's Oriole-2
      Wilson's warbler-2
      Yellow warbler-2
      Black-headed grosbeak-2

      Also present this day:
      BALD EAGLE-3: 1 adult, 1 first plumage adult, 1 juv.
      Nuttall's woodpecker-2
      Belted kingfisher-2
      Bewick's wren-1, singing
      Western bluebird-12

      In Panoche Valley on August 26th, I found:

      ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAK-1 adult female, feeding with a mixed flock of
      Lesser and American goldfinches, and Lazuli buntings. There was a
      possible Painted bunting with this flock.
      Other migrants:
      Cassin's kingbird-3
      Western wood peewee-1
      Willow flycatcher-1
      Wilson's warbler-4
      Yellow warbler-5

      Also present: 1 Roadrunner, 20 Lark sparrows, and 1 Northern flicker.

      On August 28, I returned to Paicines Reservoir. The night prior was
      clear. (I watched the total lunar eclipse at 3 am from my front
      yard). The Palm warbler was not present, and none of the other
      migrants from 8/25 or 8/26 seemed to be present. In the willow tree,
      2 WARBLING VIREOS were catching insects. Otherwise, it was a similar
      selection of birds as 8/26. One adult BALD EAGLE was in the oak tree,
      and another was at the water's edge on the far side of the reservoir.
      I stopped in at the Historical Park near Bolado. A BLUE-GRAY
      GNATCATCHER and several "rufous" hummingbirds were there, along with
      the usual suspects.

      Driving to town on Quien Sabe Road, an adult PRAIRIE FALCON landed on
      a telephone pole near Mile marker .66, while I was watching a
      ROADRUNNER and an adult GOLDEN EAGLE.

      That's the highlights. I never been able to bird in late August in my
      home county. Sure was fun!

      Eagles forever,

      Debi Shearwater
      PO Box 190