AUGUST 24, 2007 MONTEREY BAY PELAGIC TRIP REPORT

  • Debra Shearwater
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 29, 2007
      Hello, Seabirders,

      Shearwater Journey's August 24, 2007 pelagic trip from Monterey was
      nothing short of spectacular with thousands of seabirds constantly in
      view throughout the entire days, and marine mammals abundant. Tens of
      thousands, and perhaps a million shearwaters were offshore,
      including: 2 FLESH-FOOTED SHEARWATERS, 680 BULLER'S SHEARWATERS, 350
      PINK-FOOTED SHEARWATERS, and at least 50,000 SOOTY SHEARWATERS. The
      first shearwater of the morning was a Buller's. This seems early for
      both Buller's, in these numbers, and for Flesh-foots, although I
      think that the Fleshyfoots show up when higher numbers of Buller's
      are present. We also had a grand slam in the jaeger department with:
      3 SOUTH POLAR SKUAS, 15 POMARINE JAEGERS, 3 PARASITIC JAEGERS, and 5
      LONG-TAILED JAEGERS. SABINE'S GULLS put on a pretty good show, too.
      BLACK-FOOTED ALBATROSSES are still around in good numbers. Fewer
      numbers of alcids were present. Adding to the day's delight were
      several hundred PACIFIC WHITE-SIDED DOLPHINS, NORTHERN RIGHT WHALE
      DOLPHINS, DALL'S PORPOISES, HUMPBACK and MINKE WHALES, and possibly 3
      Striped Dolphins (rare in our area). It was a great day for
      photography with uniformly high overcast skies throughout the day.

      We thank the many participants who supported this trip. The leaders
      were: Brian Sullivan, Jennifer Green, Ted Chandik, and Debra
      Shearwater. The complete species list follows.

      AUGUST 24, 2007 MONTEREY BAY

      PACIFIC LOON- 1
      BLACK-FOOTED ALBATROSS- 15 (one banded)
      PINK-FOOTED SHEARWATER- 350
      FLESH-FOOTED SHEARWATER- 2
      BULLER'S SHEARWATER- 680
      SOOTY SHEARWATER- 50,000+
      BROWN PELICAN- 20
      BRANDT'S CORMORANT- 2500+
      PELAGIC CORMORANT- 5
      BLACK OYSTERCATCHER- 2
      BLACK TURNSTONE- 7
      MARBLED GODWIT- 1
      RED-NECKED PHALAROPE- 50
      SOUTH POLAR SKUA- 3
      POMARINE JAEGER- 15
      POMARINE/PARASITIC- 3
      PARASITIC JAEGER- 3
      PARASITIC/LONG-TAILED- 3
      LONG-TAILED JAEGER- 5 (one adult with long tail)
      HEERMANN'S GULL- 70
      CALIFORNIA GULL- 20
      WESTERN GULL- 450
      SABINE'S GULL- 19
      ELEGANT TERN- 6
      COMMON MURRRE- 50
      PIGEON GUILLEMOT- 20
      CASSIN'S AUKLET- 1
      RHINOCEROS AUKLET- 30
      BROWN-HEADED COWBIRD- 1
      GREAT EGRET- 3
      SEA OTTER- 20 (several with pups in the harbor)
      CALIFORNIA SEA LION- 60
      NORTHERN FUR SEAL- 1
      HARBOR SEAL-20
      MINKE WHALE- 1 (lunge feeding)
      HUMPBACK WHALE- 6 (tail slapping)
      NORTHERN RIGHT WHALE DOLPHIN- 30
      PACIFIC WHITE-SIDED DOLPHIN- 250
      STRIPED DOLPHIN- 3 ?
      DALL'S PORPOISE- 9
      MOON JELLIES
      EGG YOLK JELLIES

      Monterey Bay sure looks like a great bet this fall! The September 8th
      trip is sold out. We have a great schedule and leader line up, as
      follows:

      Sep 9 with Linda Terrill, Scott Terrill, Jennifer Green, Oscar
      Johnson, & Debra Shearwater
      Sep 10 with Brian Sullivan, Alvaro Jaramillo, Alan Hopkins, Mike
      Rogers, Don Doolittle, & Debra Shearwater
      Sep 11 with Brian Sullivan, Ted Chandik, Don Doolittle, & Debra
      Shearwater
      Sep 21 with Brian Sullivan, Steve Howell, Jennifer Green, & Debra
      Shearwater
      Sep 22 with Brian Sullivan, Steve Howell, Jennifer Green, Michael
      O'Brien, & Debra Shearwater
      Sep 23 with Brian Sullivan, Steve Howell, Jennifer Green, Michael
      O'Brien, & Debra Shearwater
      Sep 24 with Brian Sullivan, Steve Howell, Michael O'Brien, & Debra
      Shearwater
      Sep 28 with Luke Cole, Steve Howell, Jennifer Green, Jim Danzenbaker,
      & Debra Shearwater
      Sep 29 with Luke Cole, Steve Howell, Jim Danzenbaker, & Debra Shearwater
      Oct 5 with Luke Cole, Clay Kempf, Mike Danzenbaker, Jennifer Green, &
      Debra Shearwater
      Oct 6 with Scott Terrill, Linda Terrill, & Debra Shearwater
      Oct 7 with Luke Cole, Clay Kempf, Scott Terrill, Linda Terrill, Don
      Doolittle, & Debra Shearwater (all of the leaders for the 2010
      Antarctica charter)
      Oct 12 with Clay Kempf, Jennifer Green, & Debra Shearwater
      Oct 13 with Clay Kempf, Linda Terrill, Luke Cole, Oscar Johnson, &
      Debra Shearwater
      Oct 14 with Brian Sullivan, Alan Hopkins, Jennifer Green, Oscar
      Johnson, & Debra Shearwater
      Oct 20 with Clay Kempf, Scott Terrill, Linda Terrill, & Debra Shearwater

      To make an advance reservation, please contact Debra Shearwater
      (below). I have been experiencing multiple-techno-meltdowns lately.
      Sorry for the delay in posting.

      Shearwaters forever,
      Debra Shearwater
      PO Box 190