Volunteers still needed for Long-billed Curlew counts Sept 13-16

  • LANGHAM, Gary
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 29, 2007
      How many Long-billed Curlews winter in California?

      PRBO Conservation Science, Audubon California, and the LA Natural History Museum are partnering to count curlews in the interior valleys of California this September. These volunteer counts will help us estimate the winter population in the state and increase our understanding of what sorts of fields curlews prefer. Currently, world population estimates vary widely for this species, ranging between 20,000 and 160,000 individuals. This count will help us narrow the range.

      Routes are blocks within which volunteers cover all potential curlew areas, count them, characterize habitat, and mark on the map. Routes are designed to be covered by 1-2 volunteers in about a half day.

      We have over 90 routes in the Central Valley and routes are still available in the following counties:

      San Joaquin
      Stanislaus
      Madera
      Merced
      Tulare
      Kings
      Fresno

      Please contact me if you are interested in covering a route or have questions: 510-601-1866 x225
      or glangham@....

      Gary Langham
      Berkeley, CA