Please change Red-necked Stint to Sanderling molting from Alternate Plumage

  • Birders2@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 6, 2007
      Hi,

      We blew it, based on follow-up information that we received today from
      Kaaren Perry, who, with other birders, saw our bird today. The birders at Bolsa
      Chica today saw the SAME bird we had yesterday, based on a white spot that is
      apparently the result of molting which is just under the eye. The bird was
      originally found in the same spot and alone, but later joined a group of
      other similar appearing Sanderlings except for the white spot.

      Unfortunately, yesterday we only had the one bird and did not see any other
      Sanderlings in the area for comparison. Irma and I have to get out more in
      the summer months, because we cannot remember ever seeing a Sanderling in this
      plumage. We learned something.

      My posting yesterday was based on being very convinced that we had a
      Red-necked Stint and my be willing to have to withdraw the ID; rather than keeping
      it to myself, therefore, letting a rarity get away from the birding community
      because I did not want make a public ID mistake.

      Hopefully, next time it will be a Red-necked Stint.

      Great birding and find that next lifer,

      John (One of Birders2)
      John + Irma = 2, we are birders, too.

      John C. LeVine Birders2@... Los Angeles, CA

      "Whatever the reason for this particular bird's presence,
      I am delighted to have …(it)…sharing our bit of earth."
      From David Kline's "Scratching the Woodchuck - Nature on an Amish Farm"