Fw: Townsend's Shearwatwer (New North American record)

  • Douglas Aguillard
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 5, 2007
      Douglas Aguillard
      San Diego, CA
      doug@...
      http://sdbirds.basiclink.com

      "Come to the Darkside--we have cookies!"

      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 6, 2007
        Birders,

        Most of you are perfectly aware of this, but in case any beginning
        birders out there are confused by the "dueling" subject lines in Doug
        Aguillard's two posts regarding the Newell's/Townsend's Shearwater in
        San Diego the other day, it is simply a matter of taxonomy.

        The current AOU treatment is of a single species, Townsend's Shearwater
        (Puffinus auricularis), with two subspecies: the nominate (breeding on
        the Islas Revillagigedos off w. Mexico) and P. a. newelli (breeding on
        Kauai and perhaps other islands in the Hawaiian archipelago).
        Differences in plumage and structure are subtle (but probably on par
        with species-level differences among the "small black-and-white"
        shearwaters); vocalizations are purportedly similar (but Townsend's is
        poorly studied). The two taxa differ in breeding habitat, at-sea
        ecology, and breeding season.

        Right now it is "correct" to refer to the species as Townsend's
        Shearwater, but given (a) that Newell's Shearwater is generally used to
        refer to the Hawaiian birds (is there anybody in Hawaii or in the U. S.
        Fish and Wildlife Service who calls the Hawaiian birds Townsend's
        Shearwaters?), and (b) that current taxonomic trends in procellariids
        make it likely that a "split" will be recognized, it makes sense to
        refer, informally at least, to the two groups as "Townsend's" and
        "Newell's". Philip Unitt has determined that the San Diego bird was
        Newell's.

        [Another wrench thrown into this mess is the suggestion that a
        poorly-known tropical Pacific taxon, myrtae, might be allied with the
        auricularis complex rather than with the "Little" or "Audubon's"
        groups.]

        Sorry for the semi-pedantic taxonomy lesson, but I was concerned there
        might be confusion about the postings.

        KLG

        Kimball L. Garrett
        Ornithology Collections Manager