Fwd: [SDBIRDS] Sandwich tern in San Diego

  • Michael Evans
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4, 2007
      Begin forwarded message:

      From: "ploverman3" <dennis.parker@...>
      Date: August 4, 2007 7:44:07 PM PDT
      To: SDBIRDS@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [SDBIRDS] Sandwich tern in San Diego

      Late this afternoon, August 4, Lea Squires, Matt Sadowski, and I saw a
      sandwich tern on the beach at North Island Naval Air Station. This is
      a restricted area with no public access. However, given the movement
      of elegant terns in the area -- the sandwich tern was with a fairly
      small flock of elegants, along with some royals and Caspians == the
      bird could show up anywhere elegants gather, such as at the San Diego
      River mouth.

      Although the bird initially looked to be an adult coming out of
      alternate plumage, we saw some dark markings on some inner
      secondaries, indicating it may be a SY bird.

      Matt has some excellent photos, which I assume he'll be posting.

      The juvenile Baird's sandpiper was still present.

      Dennis Parker
      Tierrasanta

      Michael U. Evans
      San Diego, CA