Long-billed Curlew survey, 13-16 September 2007

  • Kimball Garrett
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2 5:29 PM
      Participate in the first statewide survey for Long-billed Curlews

      in California's interior agricultural valleys, Fall 2007!

      This past January, with the participation of a number of dedicated volunteer birders, the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County organized a survey of Mountain Plovers and Long-billed Curlews in the Imperial Valley. Building on the success of this survey, the Museum is now partnering with PRBO Conservation Science and Audubon California to conduct the first statewide surveys of the Long-billed Curlew in the interior (including the Central and Imperial valleys) during the non-breeding season. To aid conservation efforts for this poorly known species, these surveys, conducted simultaneously over the four day period from Thursday, 13 September through Sunday, 16 September 2007, aim to gather vital information on this curlew's population size and its habitat preferences in the state and to identify threats to its existence in this region.

      The Natural History Museum is coordinating the September survey effort in the Imperial Valley. We are looking for volunteers with basic field identification skills to help scrutinize the Imperial Valley's rich and extensive agricultural landscape to obtain the most complete tally of curlews using the valley in fall. Why not devote your much needed field skills to this vital effort and be a part of this important conservation project? We'll comb the lush cultivated fields of Bermuda, Sudan, and Klein grasses and of winter wheat and alfalfa to collect information which will improve our understanding of how Long-billed Curlews use California's agricultural habitats. Survey sectors require approximately ½ day to cover and we are seeking volunteers to cover one or more sectors over the four day survey window. Participants will need to provide their own transportation, food and lodging; spotting scopes are a must. We will provide detailed maps of the survey sectors, data sheets, and instructions in advance to those who have signed up to help with the survey. Please contact Kathy Molina (kmolina@...) or Kimball Garrett (kgarrett@...) at the Natural History Museum [213-763-3368] for more information.

      [Feel free to post this announcement to other relevant list serves]

      Kimball L. Garrett

      Ornithology Collections Manager

      900 Exposition Blvd.

      Los Angeles CA 90007