Tricolored Blackbirds - Lassen Co (Horse Lake Rd, Near Hwy 139)

  • Shelly
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2007
      Hi CalBirders,

      I apologize for the delayed post, but I wanted to report the sighting of
      Tricolored Blackbirds in Lassen County, north of Susanville CA on July 27
      2007.

      We were on Horse Lake Road (also County Rd 536) approximately 0.5 mile
      from Hwy 139. This is a dirt road, roughly 25-30 miles long between Hwy 139
      to the West and Hwy 395 near Ravendale to the East.

      We observed the Tricolored Blackbirds near a ranch and a drainage/ag ditch.
      We had prolonged looks from the vehicles as the birds perched on the
      fenceline to the north of the road. The Tricoloreds were in with many Brewer's
      and Red-winged Blackbirds.

      Cheers,

      Shelly Kirn
      CSU, Chico Biology Dept.