JULY 31, 2007 PELAGIC TRIP

  • Debi Shearwater
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2007
      Hi, there, Seabirders,

      Shearwater Journeys had a fantastic trip from Bodega Bay on Tuesday,
      July 31st. Weather and seas were good. It was mostly overcast, with
      some morning fog. Sea surface temperature was about 52F. We headed out
      to Bodega Canyon, then outside of Cordell Bank, and over the top of the
      pinnacles, some very shallow spots offshore. Highlights were many,
      including: nearly 100 BLACK-FOOTED ALBATROSSES; NORTHERN FULMAR; good
      numbers of PINK-FOOTED and SOOTY SHEARWATERS; close-up views of over
      100 ASHY STORM-PETRELS, one WILSON'S STORM-PETREL which the skipper
      followed very well, over 350 SURFBIRDS on the mud flats in the harbor
      on the way out in the morning, the first SOUTH POLAR SKUAS of the
      season, the first LONG-TAILED JAEGERS of the fall season, including one
      FLOCK of 11 birds, the first juvenile SABINE'S GULL of the season
      (early), first ARCTIC TERNS of the season, the usual alcid species, and
      a TUFTED PUFFIN seen by those who were not dozing or napping at the end
      of this very busy day. We had a short lull in the activity for an hour
      or so, only to be inundated by marine mammals: a MINKE WHALE, HUMPBACK
      WHALES, bowriding DALL'S PORPOISE, and a tremendous show of dolphins:
      hundreds of RISSO'S DOLPHINS, tail-slapping, breaching, and
      head-slapping. Mixed in with the Risso's was a sprinkling of PACIFIC
      WHITE-SIDED DOLPHINS and NORTHERN RIGHT WHALE DOLPHINS. It was a great
      day and good beginning season trip! And, we covered two counties:
      Sonoma and Marin.

      We thank the many seabirders who participated in this trip, and the
      leaders: Scott Terrill, Linda Terrill, Don Doolittle, Alan Hopkins,
      Lisa Hug, Jon Dunn, David VanderPluy, and Debra Shearwater. Our next
      trips from Bodega Bay with spaces available are: August 14; September
      7, 14, 30; October 8 & 19. The complete species list follows.

      JULY 31, 2007 BODEGA BAY

      PACIFIC LOON-1
      COMMON LOON-5
      BLACK-FOOTED ALBATROSS-96
      NORTHERN FULMAR-2
      PINK-FOOTED SHEARWATER-275
      SOOTY SHEARWATER-3200
      WILSON'S STORM-PETREL-1
      ASHY STORM-PETREL-130
      BROWN PELICAN-25
      BRANDT'S CORMORANT-40
      PELAGIC CORMORANT-11
      BLACK TURNSTONE-10
      WANDERING TATTLER-2
      SURFBIRD-350+
      SOUTH POLAR SKUA-2
      POMARINE JAEGER-6
      PARASITIC/LONG-TAILED JAEGER-4
      LONG-TAILED JAEGER-34
      HEERMANN'S GULL-30
      CALIFORNIA GULL-35
      WESTERN GULL-125
      SABINE'S GULL-20, including 1 early juvenile
      ARCTIC TERN-10
      CASPIAN TERN-2
      COMMON MURRE-520
      PIGEON GUILLEMOT-10