JULY 27, 2007 PELAGIC TRIP

  • Debi Shearwater
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2007
      Howdy, Seabirders,

      Shearwater Journeys kicked off the seabird migration period early with
      our first pelagic trip from Monterey on Friday, July 27th. Weather and
      seas were beautiful, with uniformly high overcast skies�ideal
      seabirding conditions. Highlights included the first report of BULLER'S
      SHEARWATER and SABINE'S GULLS for the migratory period. A single
      XANTUS/CRAVERI'S MURRELET was a flyaway. Sea surface temperature was a
      warm, 59F.

      The complete species list included:

      BLACK-FOOTED ALBATROSS-30
      PINK-FOOTED SHEARWATER-400
      BULLER'S SHEARWATER-1
      SOOTY SHEARWATER-4100
      BROWN PELICAN-150
      BRANDT'S CORMORANT-1000+
      PELAGIC CORMORANT-10
      BLACK TURNSTONE-1 (offshore in Santa Cruz County)
      BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER-12, offshore
      RED-NECKED PHALAROPE-65
      POMARINE JAEGER-1 (Santa Cruz County)
      HEERMANN'S GULL-150+
      WESTERN GULL-400
      SABINE'S GULL-32
      ELEGANT TERN-15
      COMMON MURRRE-350
      PIGEON GUILLEMOT-8
      XANTUS/CRAVERI'S MURRELET-1
      CASSIN'S AUKLET-17
      RHINOCEROS AUKLET-3 (all in Santa Cruz County)
      SEA OTTER-5 (2 pups)
      CALIFORNIA SEA LION-++
      HARBOR SEAL-5 offshore
      HUMPBACK WHALE-37
      NORTHERN RIGHT WHALE DOLPHIN-2200
      RISSO'S DOLPHIN-23
      PACIFIC WHITE-SIDED DOLPHIN-170
      OCEAN SUNFISH-3
      BLUE SHARK-1
      MOON JELLIES-++

      We thank all of the participants and the leaders of the July 27th trip:
      Jennifer Green, David VanderPluym, Mike Danzenbaker, Nanci Adams, and
      chummer, John Hiles.

      Shearwater Journey's next trips from Monterey with spaces available
      are: August 4, 17, & 24; September 8, 9, 10, 11, 21, 22, 23, 24, 28,
      29; October 5, 6, 7, 12, 13, 14, & 20.

      Shearwaters forever,
      Debi Shearwater

      Debra Love Shearwater