Re: [CALBIRDS] Visiting California RFI.

  • Steve Sosensky
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2007
      Hi Bob,

      Harrison's two seabird books (one illustrated, the other
      photographic) are both very good, but you don't always get looks that
      let you rely on plumage. Debi Shearwater has a video called "Through
      the Seasons" that shows you flight patterns as well. When you get to
      Storm-Petrels, this is often the easier way to get an ID if you know
      what to look for.

      There is also a good book on dolphins and whales, but I don't have it
      here at my desk and can't remember the author or the exact name.

      At 04:40 PM 2007-07-31, B C wrote:
      >Hello. This is my first post in the California Birds
      >forum. I live in NJ and I will almost assuredly visit
      >California in October, mostly for seabirds and marine
      >mammals. I will be staying in Torrance, but will
      >spend at least 2 days in Monterey (one of which will
      >be on a pelagic trip). I was wondering what books you
      >might suggest on IDing California birds/sea
      >mammals/sharks, etc. And if you have any suggestions
      >of 'must see' areas (from Torrance to Monterey or so),
      >please let me know! Please reply via email so as not
      >to crowd the list. Thank you very much!

      Good birding,

      Steve Sosensky,
      SoCA Bird Guides <steve at sosensky.com> www.sosensky.com/guides
      Nature Photos www.sosensky.com/nature_photos.htm
      Optics4Birding <steve at optics4birding.com> www.optics4birding.com
      Aliso Viejo, CA 92656 949-269-2161 33.56485 N, 117.72205 W