Visiting California RFI.

  • B C
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 31 4:40 PM
      Hello. This is my first post in the California Birds
      forum. I live in NJ and I will almost assuredly visit
      California in October, mostly for seabirds and marine
      mammals. I will be staying in Torrance, but will
      spend at least 2 days in Monterey (one of which will
      be on a pelagic trip). I was wondering what books you
      might suggest on IDing California birds/sea
      mammals/sharks, etc. And if you have any suggestions
      of 'must see' areas (from Torrance to Monterey or so),
      please let me know! Please reply via email so as not
      to crowd the list. Thank you very much!

      Bob Cunningham
      Trenton, NJ
      http://pbase.com/ngannet

      Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's
      http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/222
    • Steve Sosensky
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1, 2007
        Hi Bob,

        Harrison's two seabird books (one illustrated, the other
        photographic) are both very good, but you don't always get looks that
        let you rely on plumage. Debi Shearwater has a video called "Through
        the Seasons" that shows you flight patterns as well. When you get to
        Storm-Petrels, this is often the easier way to get an ID if you know
        what to look for.

        There is also a good book on dolphins and whales, but I don't have it
        here at my desk and can't remember the author or the exact name.

        At 04:40 PM 2007-07-31, B C wrote:
        >Hello. This is my first post in the California Birds
        >forum. I live in NJ and I will almost assuredly visit
        >California in October, mostly for seabirds and marine
        >mammals. I will be staying in Torrance, but will
        >spend at least 2 days in Monterey (one of which will
        >be on a pelagic trip). I was wondering what books you
        >might suggest on IDing California birds/sea
        >mammals/sharks, etc. And if you have any suggestions
        >of 'must see' areas (from Torrance to Monterey or so),
        >please let me know! Please reply via email so as not
        >to crowd the list. Thank you very much!

        Good birding,

        Steve Sosensky,
        SoCA Bird Guides <steve at sosensky.com> www.sosensky.com/guides
        Nature Photos www.sosensky.com/nature_photos.htm
        Optics4Birding <steve at optics4birding.com> www.optics4birding.com
        Aliso Viejo, CA 92656 949-269-2161 33.56485 N, 117.72205 W