Lesser Frigatebird?

  • wagtail042000
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 17, 2007
      Brian and all, Couldnt find your photo on Flickr, but I did see it on
      Ron's site next to a photo of a female? Lesser Frigatebird.I have a
      copy of Peter Harrison's "Seabirds, an Identification Guide",1983,
      Houghton Mifflin, in which he gives full treatment to all plumages of
      all species of Frigatebirds.The grayish head washed with rusty red, and
      the white spur extending into the underside of the wing from the
      axillaries points to a second stage juvenile or immature female Lesser
      Frgatebird.Lessers breed in the SW Pacific, and might this bird be
      following the Shearwaters as they move south along our coast in the
      summer, early fall? Craig Miller, Sutter Creek Ca.
    • Bob Power
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 17, 2007
        Hi all:

        There's something janky about Brian's Flicker url
        reference. Here's what I did:
        Go to flikr.com
        Click "advanced search"
        type frigatebird in the subject box
        In the date entry sections type in 7/13/07 and
        7/16/07.
        All of Brian's photos popped up instantly, and they
        are super.
        Bob Power
        Oakland, CA
        --- wagtail042000 <wagtail042000@...> wrote:

        > Brian and all, Couldnt find your photo on Flickr,
        > but I did see it on
        > Ron's site next to a photo of a female? Lesser
        > Frigatebird.I have a
        > copy of Peter Harrison's "Seabirds, an
        > Identification Guide",1983,
        > Houghton Mifflin, in which he gives full treatment
        > to all plumages of
        > all species of Frigatebirds.The grayish head washed
        > with rusty red, and
        > the white spur extending into the underside of the
        > wing from the
        > axillaries points to a second stage juvenile or
        > immature female Lesser
        > Frgatebird.Lessers breed in the SW Pacific, and
        > might this bird be
        > following the Shearwaters as they move south along
        > our coast in the
        > summer, early fall? Craig Miller, Sutter Creek
        > Ca.

      • Bruce Deuel
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 17, 2007
          I was on the coast this weekend, talking with a number of fishermen who are saying the water off Humboldt Co. is very warm right now, with albacore plentiful not far offshore. Could this have any bearing on the appearance of the possible Lesser Frigatebird? I know we've had such conditions before, without getting any Lesser Frigatebirds, but just wondering.

          Cheers,
          Bruce Deuel
          Redding
          84

          >>> "wagtail042000" <wagtail042000@...> 7/17/2007 7:42 AM >>>
          Brian and all, Couldnt find your photo on Flickr, but I did see it on
          Ron's site next to a photo of a female? Lesser Frigatebird.I have a
          copy of Peter Harrison's "Seabirds, an Identification Guide",1983,
          Houghton Mifflin, in which he gives full treatment to all plumages of
          all species of Frigatebirds.The grayish head washed with rusty red, and
          the white spur extending into the underside of the wing from the
          axillaries points to a second stage juvenile or immature female Lesser
          Frgatebird.Lessers breed in the SW Pacific, and might this bird be
          following the Shearwaters as they move south along our coast in the
          summer, early fall? Craig Miller, Sutter Creek Ca.

          Yahoo! Groups Links